Find
Notify
Tools

Bad day at the range yesterday!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
Frowner I only brought one rifle; my Stevens MOD 200 IN 22PPC. I wanted to experiment with reduced loads using H110, PRVI reformed 7.62x39 cases and Winchester large primers.
Eeker The bolt closed a little hard. Got a blown primer with the first shot and the bolt opened hard.The spent case stayed in the chamber. Had to push it out with a cleaning rod. The second shot had an identical result ;Stopped.

Confused Tried another load with BL-C2 , same primer and cases. The bolt closed hard! The lift was really hard on two shots. No blown primers and no stuck cases.No other pressure signs. I began to suspect the extractor. Was taking it apart and the ball detente flew out. Found it after about 20 min.The extractor slide looked in good shape so I put it back together.
Today I tried Different cases and found they also closed hard and opened hard with out shooting. Than while exercising the bolt I noticed that the slide type safety was moving
back and forth a little. After a little case testing I found that only the reformed cases were closing a little hard. The 22PPC Norma cases were just fine.
Started pulling bullets and than FL resizing and replacing the primers. I noticed the primers were not really tight.Replaced the Winchester primers with CCI #34s. Surprise tight fit.
oldEvery case went in EZ and came out EZ.
popcornI will continue to get more data using the H-110.
The pissers WLR primers were purchased about 15 years ago when they first appeared in the market place unplated. This isn't the first case of these primers causing me a little headache. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Life is a learning experience.

Posts: 664 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote