New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's new in .44 Mag land?
 Login/Join

<Greg-montana>
posted
Folks, I have had a .44 mag for about 15 years. I have gotten out of the habit of shooting and reloading for it, favoring other calibers lately. My interest has come back to the caliber lately. I still hunt with my pistol but use mostly conventional 220 or 240 grain bullets. I know that over the last 15 years the trend has been toward heavier bullets by many shooters. What loads are people using and how successful are they in hunting situations? I'm referring to bullets like Hornady's 300 grainers. What's up?

Greg

<jagtip>
posted
GREG.....I'm sure I'll be tarred and feathered by somebody here for this but I can't see any vast need for extra heavy bullets in the 44 sixgun even though they're all the rage these days.Their advantage is penetration.A hard cast bullet of 240-250 gr. will generally shoot through anything that is normally hunted with a handgun.In fact,elk,moose and grizzly have fallen to it.Therefore,I find little"actual"advantage to them.Just my 2 cents worth.

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
I started working up loads using Hornady's 265 flat nose, but lost interest real fast...240 grains is enough.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Greg-montana>
posted
Thanks for the response guys. Jag, I have killed deer using both the 220 and 240 grain Speers, and they seemed to work fine. I was just wondering if there was a huge advantage to the heavies, but it doesn't sound like it. My gun doesn't seem to like the .430 Hornadys much, at least with the loads I've tried so far. It shoots .429's better it seems. The 220's worked great, but are hard to find here on short notice, which always seems to be when I need them. I was a little dissapointed on the penetration of the 240 once though. But, it was, shall we say, 'a bad angle', after I rushed a first shot and had to clean up my own mess. Once again, heavier bullets probably won't help poor shooting.....

Oh, yeah, riccardelli, those 265's, are those the bullets they originally sold for .444 Marlins? I think I have some of those around somewhere. I forget what size they are. They work ok? Do they expand?

Greg

[This message has been edited by Greg-montana (edited 11-14-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Greg,
There has been a big push to hard-cast lead bullets with weights from 250 to 320 grains. I personally use 250 to 280 gr. Some folks like the heavier slugs and some don't, but you should try them out just to see how they work for you and your gun.
Hard-cast bullets will cut a full caliber hole and out penetrate any jacketed bullet, as well as costing less and being easier on the gun.

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jagtip:
GREG.....I'm sure I'll be tarred and feathered by somebody here for this but I can't see any vast need for extra heavy bullets in the 44 sixgun even though they're all the rage these days.Their advantage is penetration.A hard cast bullet of 240-250 gr. will generally shoot through anything that is normally hunted with a handgun.In fact,elk,moose and grizzly have fallen to it.Therefore,I find little"actual"advantage to them.Just my 2 cents worth.

Jagtip,

I would be inclined to agree. In the 220-240 range try some of the different bullets. They all are not made the same, some will provide more expansion than others. The same is true for the 41mag. I am interested in the "heavy" bullets but not finding any substantial reason to abandon the old favorites.

mike

------------------
NRA Life Member

America, Love it or LEAVE IT!

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
<Ken Howell>
posted
IIRC, .44 Magnum bullets heavier than the original, classic 240- and 250-grains had to be developed when handgun-silhouette shooters needed something heavier to bump steel rams over instead of just making 'em wobble. This doesn't necessarily mean that EVERY other .44 Magnum user needs heavier bullets for EVERY other .44 Magnum application.

I haven't decided which jacketed bullet (if any) I'll use in my next .44 Magnum, but there's no doubt which 240-250-grain cast bullet I'll favor -- I have one of the very first two Ideal 429421 moulds that Lyman made for my friend Elmer Keith (who designed it) and our friend Jack McPhee (who killed a passel of big critters in Alaska with it). Unless Lyman was especially careful to send Elmer the first one and Jack the second one, there's a fifty-fifty chance that mine is the very first Ideal 429421 mould that Lyman cherried.

Bottom line: it's still a superb mould that casts a grand old bullet that doesn't need to be replaced by anything heavier for the spectrum of uses that I'll put it to. My last boar, a 275- to 300-lb brute, quickly fell to ONE of this mould's bullets, about 90 yards from the Redhawk that pointed and launched it (with moderate impetus from about 20 grains of H-240, IIRC -- NOT a maximum load).

<jagtip>
posted
KEN....The 429421 is my favorite bullet in the 44 mag.During the last few years,I've gotten lazy and prefer to buy commercially cast,sized and lubed bullets for sheer convenience but am unable to ever find the true Keith bullet,having to settle for a 240 swc that's not of the true Keith design.Would prefer not to have to crank up the melting pot unless I have to.Do you know of any sources that commercially cast the true Keith designs?Thanks...Regards...jagtip

one of us
posted Hide Post
I really like the 300 gr XTP for shooting whitetails . They seem to thump the deer noticably harder than 240 gr bullets . The advantage over hardcast bullets to me is getting some expansion for quicker kills with lung shots , yet maintaining tremendous penetration capabilities . I have not seen a whitetail slow one of thes bullets down yet , including a good sized buck that went around 300 lbs. You also get more retained striking power out at longish ranges , important in my hunting country . By seating the 300 gr XTP out to the second canelure for use in Rugers , you maintain powder capacity and don't give up all that much velocity , and move up to a whole 'nother power level . Whether you want that much more power (and recoil) is up to the individual . The fact that these loads are harder on the gun is immaterial to me as you only need a few shots for hunting and sighting in , use lighter stuff for practise and plinking .

The 300 gr XTP is hairsplittingly acccurate in my Redhawk , with 50 yard shots cutting cloverleafs . (scoped)

[This message has been edited by sdgunslinger (edited 11-17-2001).]

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Don't know if they expand...never got to that stage of testing!

They didn't hold any accuracy records in either of my handguns or in my original Ruger carbine.

Didn't go through all the stuff I normally do with a new load, since I was happy with the .44 Mag load that I am currently using.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Trader Jack>
posted
A new experience for me with the .44 Mag has been trying the Rainier 300 gr. cooper plated lead hollow points. The reason it's challenging is that the bullet has no cannelure to roll crimp to. Your must use a last stage taper crimp. They tell you to use a normal taper, but I'm not used to a normal taper on .44 mag loads. I purchased a Lee taper crimp die (not factory crimp) for this and am experimenting right now.

The Rainiers are a very soft (swaged) lead with a full copper electroplate coating. Midway sell them. I thought I'd given them a try since my Hornday 300's shoot so well in the .44. I've noticed that even 300 gr. hard case seem shoot better than the 240's.

What I'm not sure about is how much taper crimp to give them. These Lee dies will actually start to put what looks to me like a roll type of crimp if you turn them down a bit. I have pulled some of these bullets and they have a definite indentation in the bullet from the end of the case from the crimp. I believe this is too heavy, but am experimenting.

Anyone alse have experience with these Rainier's and taper crimping .44's and .357's without a cannelure?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Trader Jack (edited 02-21-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
For the person who wanted to buy some of the original Keith type SWC cast bullets, I bought some from Leadheads out of Kansas that appear to be the real deal. The weigh 255 grains and you can get them sized from .429 to .431.

Posts: 53 | Location: Olympia, WA, USA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
<heavy varmint>
posted
A couple years ago I got curious about the 240gr. XTP vs. the 300gr. XTP for hunting so I filles a few boxes with sand and loaded up both weights in front of a book max. of H-110. What I found was that the penetration of the two out to 50 yards was very close but the 240s expanded more giving them the edge for my type of handgun hunting for deer (50 yards or less most likely) but past 50 is were the 300s started to out penetrate the 240s by an inch or more.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Vihtavuori powders. Try N 110 for full power, or 240 to 250 grainers with 10.6 grs N 340 for a fine, more than medium power load.

Good shooting H

------------------

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
<2ndaryexplosioneffect>
posted
Greg,

I am in the same boat. First of all, I think anyone who faces a bear with a 44 mag. is more on a macho trip than using good common sense. Now realize we don�t have a lot of grizzlies in Texas, but my 2 cents worth. Last time I was working on loads I tried Hornady 300 gr. Flat points. They just took the joy right out of shooting! Out of a box of 100 I think I still have 90 or so. If anyone wants them drop me a note because I sure as hell am not going to use them!

My second unqualified opinion is that 44 mag over-penetrates for almost any game you should be shooting with a handgun. For this reason I have been shooting 180gr. XTP as fast as possible. I also like high velocity to extend my shooting range without a lot of aiming compensation.

I became a user of moly-coated bullets in rifles and quickly started using moly in my handgun loads where I find it more of an advantage. I went to jacked bullets over hard cast because of the barrel leading and cleaning hassles. Moly coating jacketed bullets allowed me to increase loads and get slightly more velocity but I am still not totally satisfied with the expansion.

I plan on trying moly coated hard cast bullets. The moly will stop the leading problem and allow me to get the velocity I want in theory. I am hoping a 180-200gr. semi wad cutter hollow point, moly-coated, shooting as fast as possible, should stop inside a 150 pound Texas deer. If any of you pistol pros have any input pro or con I would appreciate your comments.

Vitavory powders have become my best friend in rifles. I plan a major test with them in pistol calibers.

Shoot safe,
Mike