New
Find
Notify
Tools

.223 questions????
 Login/Join

posted

Question:
Hello post, I am new here, and am hoping for some opinions. I am going to re-barrel a 700 action, in .223 remington with a lilja 12 twist barrel. my question is would a .223 Ackley improved be a good improvement over the .223 rem or would the rem be a better choice? this action already has a bolt face to fit .223 so thats where I am at. any opinions are appreciated. Ron

Choices:
not sure what to put????????

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Rem bolt face can be opened uo to another ctg. base quite easily if you would prefer to do so.

Bob

Posts: 529 | Location: Harrison, Maine - Pensacola, Fl. | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dogcatcher223
posted Hide Post
Most people will tell you that the benefits of improving the 223 is not worth it. It all depends on what else you have in your collection. I have three 223's so i just dropped one off at my smith to have it reamed to a 223 improved 40. (I don't think Ackley ever made a 223 version even though it is often called an "Ackley" whenever the taper is reduced and the shoulder bumped to 40 degrees.) I have heard that improving the 223 and loading with 40's or 50's can come close to a 22-250. I decided to have mine done because I don't know anyone else with one and I have three normal ones already. Plus you can still shoot normal 223 Rem ammo in it, and the ammo is cheap for fireforming.

posted Hide Post
To Improve or Not?

I think the question depends on what you intend to do with the rifle and the twist of the barrel you are fitting the action with.

In my opinion, the standard .223 shooting up to 55 is a fine choice. You need to remember that there is an accurate velocity range (more is not always better) and some bullets are built to go only so fast and then fall apart when driven faster.

I think the "improved" .223 would be a GREAT choice if you were using 68/69/75/77/80/90 grain bullets. These bullets take alot of room up in the case (if loading to ML) and the extra case capacity offered by the imporved would be welcomed. However, in order to use these longer bullets, you need to be working with a slow twist barrel (1-8 to 1-6.5[for 90's]).

These heavier bullets are designed for target shooting - not hunting.

So, again the question becomes: what are you doing with the gun?

Just my two cents,

Gurrie Fandozzi

Posts: 27 | Location: Windham, NH | Registered: 31 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd say just leave it in .223 Remington!

I don't think the AI would be much of an improvement!

Chuck - Retired USAF- Life Member, NRA & NAHC

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
I would leave it .223, ammo is cheap and available. Yes you can fireform to AI, but why?

If you need more capacity, how about a .222 Rem Mag? With the new .204 Ruger based off of this case, brass is realitively easy to find and there are plenty of bullets out there.

The 1-12 twist is great for varmint bullets, 55g and less, so they don't overstabilize, but I would go with a FASTER twist if I was going for over 55g bullets. You can use hollowpoints in most cases for hunting small critters, although they are primarily target rounds.

Gurrie is correct on the recommendations for twist, but I think he meant "faster", not "slower" twist.

Have fun with your new gun!

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote