THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Starting loads for 308 Win with 165 gr Aframes and Varget

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Starting loads for 308 Win with 165 gr Aframes and Varget
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
Hello,

Does anyone have any recommended loads? I have the Swift manual, but it doesn't have a recommended OAL for this combo. It lists max load as 46 gr.

I'm aiming for 2,700 to 2,800 fps.

Thanks!

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3061 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
2.75" to 2.80" oal tip of bullet to base.
I loaded varget to about 45 grs that all I could I could get in the win case with out packing it tight.
Velocity will be what ever maybe 2700f/s.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have a standard chamber start at 40grs.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Here's what I went with:

Starting Load: 45 gr 2.790" OAL
46 grs at 2.790" and 2.810"
46.5 grs at 2.790" and 2.810"

Probably try and check them next weekend or the week after.

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3061 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Are The 46 grain loads compressed?
If So check and see you you bullets creep out.
Had that problem with 168gr nosler BT. and imr4064

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
go to accurate shooter.com and look at the 308 page.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
the 2.790 OAL are slighlty compressed at 46 grs+, but not by much.

I think I'll have to go with 2.810" to get an uncompressed load.

My plan is to start with the 45 gr loads, make sure there isn't crazy velocities or pressure, and then move the 2.810" OAL loads. If those work, I'll stop there.

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
My 308's can handle 2.815" OAL.

Generally, depending on the brass and chamber, my Varget/165/168 loads are 45.5 - 46.0 grains.

Velocity should be in the 2,735 fps range in a 22" barrel.

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Good idea on the OAL over max.

I started to measure seating depth for my rifle, but the bullet was WAY out - probably .15" of the bullet in the shoulder. Now, these are Aframes, so they are short, so thus the issue.

I need to measure my magazines (these loads are for two Tikka T3s and a Remington 600) and see how far I can go. I can always go over to get the speed I need and avoid compressed loads.

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I measured the load density tonight. I used a fired case so the bullet could move freely and loaded it to 46.5 gr of Varget and then set the bullet in. It was 2.790" exactly. Now, I know after resizing some things can change, but this should be dang close. So assume 100% load at these specs.

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Also loaded some rounds up at 2.690" - so the factory crimp is in the bullet cannelure. Went with 43 and 43.5 grs.