New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loose primer pockets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am currently loading up some 338 wm loads. I cleaned, trimmed and primed a few different makes of brass at the same time, keeping them separated. I noticed that the Federal High Energy brass did not offer much or any resistance when installing the primers (WLRM(. The Rem and Win brass fit tight. Primers stay in and are secure, just didn't go in hard at all. Anything to worry about? Should I go ahead and load them, or use the Win brass for my NP elk load?

Posts: 179 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 02 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shane in WI

I would say that this is an excellent time to remember the old saying, "If you change any component then load developement needs to start over"

This is certainly true if your load is anywhere near MAX. If so then I wouldn't use that load in the Federal High Energy brass until it proves safe.

This is all assuming the brass is new. If its previously fired I would wonder how hot the last firing was.

This is why I dont buy once fired brass at gun shows. You have no idea how it was treated.

Ray

Posts: 85 | Location: Tex | Registered: 29 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
These 2 boxes of factory Federal High Energy Brass was fired once in my rifle. (one of them took a 30" 4x5 mule deer 2 years ago) I am working up a load for my Elk hunt in 2 weeks. (I know it's cutting it close) I also sized and preped other lots of brass for different loads at the same time. I primed all the brass last night, but think I will use the Win brass for this load and deal with the FED HE w/ loose primer pockets later.

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
There shouldn't be any concern for your "loose" primer pockets. My experience with Federal (and Norma,) brass is that the primers don't fit as tight as with the Winchester and Remington yet you can get as many reloads out of them as the others. As long as the primers stay in the cases during transport or in the magazine, you shouldn't have to be concerned. On firing, the detonation of the primer will expand the cup in most instances sealing it completely. I've seen reloads where the primers are glued in and/or retained with nail polish and they fire just fine.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would not shoot loose primer pocket ammo in my gun, thats an indication that the enhanced load is too hot for your rifle and that does not surprise me either, as I have talked to others who said it locked up their rifles...Man Magnum made some mention of this with the 458 Win...

A loose primer pocket is asking for trouble IMO...I toss the loose ones as they show up..brass is cheap, my fingers and eyes are not.

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
If you think they're loose now, wait till you try them a second time. Federal doesn't intend for their brass to be of reloading quality, it doesn't appear. Some earlier lots of Gold Medal brass are okay, but most of it gets real loose real fast.

Federal no longer sells component brass to the public, and that probably has everything to do with the long term integrity of that brass.

As Bob says, it's probably safe to shoot this time, but you will note that the primers will be even looser next time.

I'd phase that stuff out and stick with Win and Remmy.

Dan

[ 10-02-2002, 01:58: Message edited by: green 788 ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't reload Federal brass, but I have some friends who are high power shooters. They complain about the Federal brass tendency to loosen to primer pockets (they shoot fairly hot loads in those .223's) and have the primer fall out in their AR-15's. Now that's a show stopper in competition. But at least they don't have a pissed off buff bearing down when it happens.

Most have now sworn off Fed and stick with Win or Rem.

Posts: 306 | Location: Originally from Texas | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Chainsaw>
posted
Shane, I have read and also stayed away from loading Federal brass in .223 because of Kabooms it has caused on AR type rifles.

I have also noticed that certain lots of my primers "seemed" a little smaller when seating than others. I have been using some Rem 9 /1/2M primers that are somewhat "looser" fitting than other of the same designation but of a different lot number.

The Federal brass could be used with a different primer for target practise loads. I noticed that all my CCI 250 primers seat well in all brass, so that might be workable for you.

I use mostly Remington brass with some Winchester and have had good results.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is great guys. In one day I have just the answer I was looking for. Thanks.
I loaded up the Win brass last night for this load, I'll worry about the Fed HE brass later.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shane: Good choice using the WW brass with the good primer pockets.

As to the loose primer pockets from factory H.E. brass, remember, there are no free lunches. I doubt that the Federal brass is deficient, but rather that the higher pressures from the H.E. loads are expanding the primer pockets on firing.

Like most of the WSM loads, many "High Energy" loadings are pushing the envelope. They will usually get by with one firing in factory form, but the price you pay for the extra velocity (which is a product of extra pressure) is shorter (read 1-firing) case life.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Federal Brass.....Phooey!!! I have loaded some but am in the process of phasing all of it out. I have favored Winchester brass for many years and to this point, have seen nothing that makes me want to change my mind. Many of the loads that Winchester brass will take 8-10 reloadings without loose primer pockets is making loose pockets in the FC brass in two firings. [Frown] Regards, Eagleye

Posts: 113 | Location: B.C., Canada | Registered: 18 August 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Atkinson is right, the High-En. load is generating TOO MUCH pressure in your rifle. I have reloaded tons of Federal brass that was fired with ordinay safe loads, and did not find it to suffer expanded primer pockets any quicker than other brands. The worst I ever found in regard to expanding primer pockets was Norma!! [Big Grin]