New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brass
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
i have some brass with RED coloring on the base,does any one know why ??? Thanks

Posts: 73 | Location: Haines City.FL.USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In a ring around the primer? Factory primer sealant.
The entire head, on range pickups? someone was using red marker to identify them.
Other than that I don't have a clue.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cartridge brass is of course an alloy of 70% Cu and 30%Zn. To get red out of that it was probably some type of corrosion that brought out the color of the copper.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If the whole head of the case is red You may have some cases from factory proof loads. Do not reload those cases.

Posts: 2438 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
primer sealer.

Posts: 93 | Location: san antonio, texas | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Snowman may be correct, although all the Proof Loads I have seen have had a purple color on the case head, I have not seen any proof loads in several years.
I was given a couple of hundred fired cases in 44 Mag that were proof loads. I still use them. they have worked fine.
Also some people mark their reloads that way. When I got several different loads from Superior they had different colors on the base of the shells so I could tell the different loads apart.[The 286gr. and the 320gr. Woodleighs look the same once they are loaded].

[ 07-27-2003, 22:25: Message edited by: N E 450 No2 ]

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Will the "color" polish off??

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info--I too think its a proof load,just wanted to check

Posts: 73 | Location: Haines City.FL.USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Kynadog is correct! It is a primer sealer that some companies put on their brass. I have reloaded and shot these casings with no problems.