New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Powder for .45-70?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What powder have you had the best luck with in .45-70? I will be loading 350, 405 and the new 460 gr. from Cast Performance. I will be loading both practice/target rounds and hunting loads. Thanks!

------------------
"The Constitution of the United States shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samuel Adams

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get your hands on a Lyman Cast Bullet manual they have some real good loads for those weights. I have used 2400 for reduced (mild) loads and 3031 for some real strong loads for the Ruger #1. I've also heard 4198 is good.
David

Posts: 113 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
Shark, When I had my Ruger #1 45-70, I used Reloader 7 exclusively...highest velocities and very consistant.

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Multi Vis>
posted
I will go along with old 4x4 on this one - reloader 7 was custom made for the 45/70, You wont find a better powder for it!
MV

one of us
posted Hide Post
Purely from the catalogs, as I was looking around for mine ( Browning 86 Carbine ):

4198 and H 322

Good shooting! H

------------------

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I found RE7 to be best, with 3031 a close second. IMR 4198 is also acceptable, but 2400 leaves too much air space in the case for my taste. One usually gets better accuracy with loads that most nearly fill the case, with many compressed loads taking the bacon!!

------------------
Larry

one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
REL7 is my no 1 choice. 4198 a close second.

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
<pigman>
posted
Reloader 7 all the way and 2400 for a close second in light loads.

one of us
posted Hide Post
For light to moderate lead "smokeless BPCR" loads - AA5744. For full power lead and jacketed loads - Re-7,AA2015,and AA1680.

Posts: 73 | Location: Huron, Tn | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What Norma powder is the equivalent of RL 7?

Hermann

( RL 22 = MRP, RL 25 = MRP2, RL 19 = N 204 ?? )

------------------

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For heavy loads RL#7 & IMR4198 take your choise.

Posts: 302 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 21 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank Y'all. Yesterday I bought some Reloader #7 to work up some loads with this weekend.

How about powders for target/plinking work? Is Reloader 7 good in reduced loads or should I go to small amounts of a faster powder like 4198, 2400, etc.?

------------------
"The Constitution of the United States shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samuel Adams

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
<hunting1>
posted
I know there will be alot of flack, but I like Varget. Light on the shoulder and accurate. I don't get blistering speeds, but 18-1900fps works for me with 350g of lead. Good shooting!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shark,
I do all my shooting with a Trapdoor,so all my velocities are LOW,by your standards.
I still find Reloader#7 best and IMR#4198 as next best.
Frank

Posts: 202 | Location: Newburgh,New York Orange | Registered: 21 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Salt>
posted
The .45-70 is made for FFG

Fill the case with Goex FFG to where the powder will be compressed by 1/16" when seating the bullet. Use SPG lube on bullet.
Stay away from petroleum based lubes and gun oils. Try Ballistol for cleaning and for gun oil.

one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
I like IMR-4198 and IMR-3031 they are the only two powders I use for the 45-70.

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Oilburner>
posted
Nobody asked so I will, what are you shooting? Ruger #1, Marlin, Sharps

I started loading 350gr Hornady and 405gr lead flatpoints over IMR 3031 in my 1895SS. Accuracy was good and velocity decent. The next pound of powder was IMR 4198 partly due to Ken Waters recommendation in Pet Loads.

When I checked the Hodgdon manual, I noticed H4198 produced better velocity than IMR plus it is a "Extreme" powder so I tried it. Starting load was 48.0gr's @ 2036fps up to 53.0gr's @ 2191 (24" barrel). I found that accuracy was pretty consistent from 48.0-53.0 but the top charge was pretty stout on the receiving end. I settled on 51.0gr's and am quite pleased. The velocity will be lower than indicated with the 22" barrel.

I met a guy at the range and asked him to chrony my IMR 4198 loads with 405gr hard cast flat points, they averaged 1825 fps. I have a chrony on the way and plan to verify the H4198 loads soon.

one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
If you are shooting lighter loads in the 45-70 using rel 7, you will get better consistency using a dacron or other such wad to fill the space between bullet and powder.

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote