THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

405 Winchester does anybody load for it here?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just bought a Winchester 405 in a Winchester 1895.I got it this weekend before all this news of winchester going away.I was wondering if its safe to use the barnes 300 ge .411 bullets in this rifle.I will probally shoot the hornady 300 gr pointed bullets also.I was wondering if anyone had any good 405 winchester loads for the 300 gr bullets.I want to try heavier bullets if its safe in the 405.I heard its the magazine length that limits the bullets you can use.

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
Here's some 300 gr loads from a magazine article:

Alaska Bullet Works (right here in Juneau, AK) makes some jacketed pills (Kodiak Bonded) for the .405 Winny. They produce them at .412" I asked them about this once and they said this was the "correct" diameter. I have noted that most bullets mentioned are of 0.411" diameter.

MM

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't load for the .405 Win but Hodgdon has data on their web site:

http://www.hodgdon.com/data/rifle/405win.php

They list the 300 GR. BARNES XFB among others. They also list data for the 400 gr Woodleigh.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I load for it and among the jacketed pills available use only Barnes bullets.

The "orginal" Barnes SN 400's are very inaccurate in my rifle, (probably too slow a twist...could also be influenced by excessive shoulder-mirage) but the 300 gr. "X" bullets shoot like lasers in this rifle, which has an original M95 barrel on a Springfield '03 action.

Guess I should also mention that .412" IS the correct diameter for CAST bullets in my rifle...the .411" cast ones only shoot with moderate accuracy in it. YMMV.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I load for it as well, but as yet have only shot the Hornady FP's in it. Haven't tried the new SP's or the Barnes. The Barnes are expensive and I got a gob of the Hornady's as factory seconds from Midsouth. I'm going to try to snag a Ruger #1 in 405 sometime soon to go with the 95 that I have now.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mighty Joe
posted Hide Post
I have used Hornady factory ammo in the 405 and found them extremely accurate. But the two animals I have shot were with Barns X, 300 gr, loaded with 54.5 gr, H4895 and getting about 2198 fps. This was devastating on both animals, a black bear and a deer this year. Actually, the Hornady factory ammo was about 50 fps hotter.

Prayer, planning, preperation, perseverence, proper procedure, and positive attitude, positively prevents poor performance.

Posts: 910 | Location: Oakwood, OK, USA | Registered: 11 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote