Find
Notify
Tools

170gr FP .308 Interlock in .308 Winchester
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
Anyone ever shot the 170g flat-point Hornady Interlock designed for the .30-30 in a .308 Winchester.

They shoot almost one-hole in one of mine. Thinking of shooting a leopard with them. Anyone have an opinion on that? They are ~2650 at the muzzle.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Should be outstanding on leopard!!!! Except they dont cost $8.00 apiece.....so that being the case.......They can't possibly work....

Posts: 42343 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Since they are so accurate in this rifle…seems they would be perfect for the application. Thin skinned animal, short range, and brushy terrain.

Was just trying to make sure the increased velocity of a .308 Win wasn’t too much for them.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can always slow them down, if it's a concern. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3765 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think it would be smart to start testing bullets on Leopard, those little buzzsaws can get real nasty in the high grass...I would at least test them on your Texas deer first...I would however shoot a Leopard with a 150 or 170 gr. Rem corelokt, they work on small Hill country whitetail and Idaho elk in my 30-30 and 308.

Not saying your choice of bullets wouldn't work, inasmuch as its a HOrnady Interlock, but Id want to work up to Leopard before I got in a switch,,,

but for me the 150 or 165 gr. Accubond would be Leopard usuable in my 308..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I will shoot a pig or 2 with them. They just shoot uncanny in this rifle and seem a good choice.

I am mostly interested in if any has actually shot them into game from a .308.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Hornady says the bullets are fine in up to elk sized creatures at speeds up to .30-06 capabilities just fine.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
posted Hide Post
I dont recall the speer offhand, but Ive shot javalina, feral hogs,whitetail,Coues and Mule deer with 150 and 170 gr. corelokts and silvertips on many ocassions in far west texas from Sanderson to the Hill country and WEst to El Paso and New Mexico in my 308 win. because I could buy a box of bullets to load in two guns, my 30-30 and my .308 sav 99...back in the day when money was a rare commodity for a young cowboy trying to find his path in life doctoring screw worms and practicing his roping skills on a daily bases for $2.00 a day room and board..got to hunt a lot on the way..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use them in my .308, but specifically and only for subsonic loads.

Have culled a few Impala with that load, but because the velocity was so low and because they were all neck shots it probably doesn't tell you what you want to know.

Posts: 495 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
Not the bullet this thread started with, but the 150gr 30-30 Barnes TSXs also work great in Krags, or at least the one I have. Loaded to 2200-2400fps the pressures are very low, they print tiny groups, and they even feed pretty well, which I find amazing.

Posts: 973 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used the 150 gr. Barnes TSX HP on a cow elk at 140 steps, went in behind the shoulder and out the other side with a quarter size exit hole, she stood there for a minute, went down on her knees and rolled over dead, about what Id suspect out of a 30-06 or 300 win..Also bought a bunch of 97 gr. monolithec flat nose hollow points from GS Customs in 25 caliber for my 25-35 and 250-3000, bothh have been used on culling and elk, they worked..

Were getting a big off subject but it does indicate what Ive known for years, the slower flat nose and round nose bullet that have been the subject of perfection at lower velcity in the 30-30 will work as well in the 308 or 30-06..Im sure Ive used that speer bullet in either my 308 or 30-06 as well as the 30-30, so it must have done its job or I would remember had it not..I always recall failure in bullets, and not likely to forget or forgive..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120