New
Find
Notify
Tools

Impala bullets... Anyone heard of them
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Here is a link for those who has to know.
Bullet nerds like my self.

http://www.impalabullets.at

Have fun

Niels

Posts: 389 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes Niels,

I do not only have heared about them, I also shoot them in various calibers and they work GREAT! There is nothing else comparable in the bullet market and I can assure you, that these bullets will work like nothing else. They are monolithic solids that don't deform but work like hell! Having shot in the meantime more than 150 animals with it I am absolutely fascinated with the extraordinary performance. Light for caliber, very low recoil, very extended range and nearly no meat damage.

Just to give you an imagination of how well they work..... a friend of mine shot a red stag with a live weight of 192 kg with his Impala load (bullet weight 50 grs.!!) with one shot. He aimed at the shoulder, the bullet worked perfectly and penetrated throug the whole animal and exited the on the offside shoulder. The red stag went only a few steps, I think 40 Meters and fell down, dead like a stone.

I shot with the same caliber a boar with 52 kg (dressed, without guts, so i estimate a live weight of more or less 65 kg)recently, with exactly the same bullet.... .243 with 50 grains....
The boar took one step forward and fell over stone dead....

Just two examples, I could give you many many more.... but, regardless of the caliber, the results are always the same..... flawless performance and nearly no meat loss, even when i shoot a roe buck with .376 Steyr....

So, if you have some more questions, feel free to come back to me....

greetings,

Gerry

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well!

I have an opposit experience with these bullets.
I have tried them in my 22-250, used on red fox.
I have shot 5-6 red foxes with it, and they ran like hell after been hit perfect on the shoulder. Not long, but approx. 20-30m. Exactly the same as if I shoot them with 308 and FMJ. I'm sorry, but I cant see the shock that the are advetising about.
I cant get the tack driving accuracy with them either. I have tried them in .264" as well, and the accuracy isn't there either.
I havet used them on several species because its not alowed to use FMJ's on larger game here in Norway, but the performance I experienced with them does'ent make me want to tri them either. Frowner

*Treat problems like a dog; Take a sniff ..... If it can't be killed, eaten, or fucked? Just pie on it, and walk on!:-)

Arild.

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Arild,

that's true.......
the Foxes are running with the Impala, not far, but they do, even with the best shot placement... noone can explain that....

But have you tried the Impala on other species?

Concerning the accuracy.... the Impala's needs at least 1 mm in the shorter calibers before kissing the lands.. in medium calibers 2 mm will work very well.... try this und you will get pinpoint accuracy...

The Impala ist not a FMJ-bullet, it is a monolithic solid.....that's a big difference! I'm not aware of wether you are allowed to use monolithic solids in Norway.......once again, FMJ and monolithic solid is big difference!

I'm for sure not a salesman of Impala Bullets and I can choose whatever I want for my hunting....but there is no reason for choosing other bullets, because no other bullet will provide me all the advantages that the Impala does provide.

One thing, that is important on using Impala's is the point of aim. I always try to shoot directly on the shoulder. These shot placement is quite uncommon for meat hunters, because normally this kind of shooting has a devastating effect on the meat.... not so with the Impala.....hole in - double hole out and no bloodshot meat! And with that shotplacement you will have mostly bang flops. Not always,..... no bullet on earth will guarantee that, .....but in case ot running a few meters, the blood on the spot and in the escape trail is so good, that you can track the animal with ease.

Greetings,

Gerry

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is the kind of bullet I am looking for, for roe. Do yu have any experience with poor shot placement/follow up shots...?

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Shooting non-dangerous animals with FMJs is ridiculous IMO. Whoever invented a nonexpanding "Hunting" bullet clearly doesn't care much for the animals.

I have only killed a handful of small animals with nonexpanding bullets and the results were ridiculous. The animals recieve hardly any damage and suffer for a bit before they expire. Any ethical hunter wants to put game down as quickly as possible. Expanding bullets devastate the internal organs and put game out of their misery in very short order.

Using solids on large animals like Cape Buffalo where the utmost importance is placed in breaking very large bones is totally different from shooting medium game where full penetration is possible with nearly any projectile.

Do you nonexpanding bullet guys archery hunt with field points?

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No personal experience with really poor shot placement, but a Erik, a friend of mine shot on a doe while she was feeding, and exactly in the moment when he pulled the trigger, it stepped forward, so it was gut shot. That's really a bad place for a bullet. He immediately knew that it was poor shot, but the doe ran only 20 meters, stopped and fell over dead like a stone. Shots with common bullets in cup and core design with the same shot placement were always a pain, on the one side to follow the animal, because in most cases the tracking signs (blood, stomach content, hair etc. ...) have always been very rare, and on the other hand the mess inside the animal. Not so with the Impala..... no mess inside or at least so few you would never have expected. Other collegues told me, that especially such bad shot placement with bigger calibers with the Impala often result in bang flops. I have no idea why.....but that seems to be Impala specific.

Another example for a bad shot placement is a "texas heart shot"..... recently a friend shot a boar in that style when it was dark and the boar ran away from him. The bullet entered in the right ham, broke the large bone and was found just behind the opposite shoulder just under the skin..... imagine that long wound channel. The boar was found stone dead after about a few meters...... and now the best.... caliber was 7,62x39 with a initial velocity of about 650 m/s!!! A bullet which is for sure not the first choice when hunting tough and strong boars, but you can see it works perfectly with the Impala.

Greetings,
Gerry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reloader:
Shooting non-dangerous animals with FMJs is ridiculous IMO. Whoever invented a nonexpanding "Hunting" bullet clearly doesn't care much for the animals.

I have only killed a handful of small animals with nonexpanding bullets and the results were ridiculous. The animals recieve hardly any damage and suffer for a bit before they expire. Any ethical hunter wants to put game down as quickly as possible. Expanding bullets devastate the internal organs and put game out of their misery in very short order.

Using solids on large animals like Cape Buffalo where the utmost importance is placed in breaking very large bones is totally different from shooting medium game where full penetration is possible with nearly any projectile.

Do you nonexpanding bullet guys archery hunt with field points?

Reloader

Reloader..... not to offend you, but.... once again.... full metal jacket and monolithic solid is a totally different story, so you cannot compare them to each other.... Shooting for example whittails with FMJ's is bullshit, but not with the Impala's! They work in a totally different manner... and believe me......they DO work!! And they kill very fast.... and the animals shot expire almost immediately. Most shots with the Impala's are so called bang flops or do you mean the animals would have reacted in another way when they would have been aware of being shot with a solid? (just kiddin'....).

I'm free to use any bullet I want, I am not sponsored in any way or sg. else.... and in some calibers I do indeed use other bullets....why not? But.... in the last three years I have shot approximately 150 animals of all kind and size with the Impala's, give or take a few.... do you really think I would use them, if I were not really 100% satisfied with them?? There are lots of cheaper and time proven bullets out in the market, so what other reason as complete satisfaction could there be??

Greetings,
Gerry

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
You've been extremely lucky.

If a bullet doesn't expand it imparts hardly any shock. Shoot them into ballistic gel and you'll see the difference very quickly. Yes FMJs can be compared with the Impala, neither expand therefore they will have similar shock upon impact. Neither will give the internal damage as that of expanding bullets.

Neither will give adequate blood trails. Take Elk for instance. Shoot him through the lungs with a bullet that doesn't expand such as the Impala and your about to have a hell of a mess on your hands. Tiny exits, no blood trail, and a looooonnnnnnnggggg tracking job.

I don't buy the BS theory of shock without expansion. Not too many years ago a Solid non-expanding Muzzle Loading projectile was introduced to the market. It was "supposed" to inflict shock upon impact due to its design. I know many guys who tried them because they were accurate at high speeds in their smokeless Savages. Well, they didn't cause much shock at all, they zipped right through leaving caliber entrance and exit wounds with hardly any blood and even little deer were running long distances after impact much like they'd been shot with FMJs.

I don't buy the shock theory behind these bullets.

Sure they'll "kill" an animal if you hit them in the right spot as will a FMJ BUT, they are not nearly as effective as expanding bullets such as Barnes TS or NPTs.

Here in the states, many state game laws specify the use of Expanding bullets. It's our job as sportsmen to put game down as quickly and effectively as possible.

Have a Good One

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will say this much of a bullet I have never tried.

If it works... it works... All the theoretic discussion is interesting, but still... If it works it's fine by me.
I think that it is good to accept new ways or to accept that there can be new way of doing things. But to discuss and conclude something on a theoretical level, will produce as much good sense as the theory of shock kills and the so called ".22 hispeed aspirin big game bullet."
It is in the field we find things out for real. and I guess that it was in the field that someone found out that, flat or cup nosed solids produced better kills than conventional roundnosed ones. Actually .... I think Impala bullets have stolen some design from the flatnosed solids. The Impala may very well be pointed, but it has a very distinct sharp edge, ful caliber size. That edge and the shock waves from it, may very well be the cause of the fast killing some of you people say it produces.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reloader, I don't care one bit which revolutionary bullet designs have been introduced in former times, no matter if it's a decade or two since then. I only believe what I see and I am well educated enough to speak only about own experiences, that means, experiences that I have made myself, not heard or read about... otherwise it seems as if a blind person is going to speak about colors.....

Once again, have a look at a FMJ and the construction of the IMPALA...... there are miles between them....

And what do you think, where does all the internal damage comes from on animals shot with an Impala bullet?? Red Stags, lung shot with the Impala always show massive trauma on the lungs, they are completely destroyed..... hearts, or what is left over are vague strips, the same for boars, roe deer..... no shock waves with the Impala??? You may believe whatever you want, I'm not going to convince neither you nor anyone....I prefer to believe what my experience over the years with the Impala has shown me. And I am not the only guy here over in Austria who uses Impala bullets and is more than satisfied.... but it is always the same old story .. things that can not be may not be.... hm? And this will never ever change, as long as there are people that don't know the difference between FMJ and Impala... but hey..... I don't care.... I (and hundreds of Hunters whole over Europe) will not stop using a bullet, which satisfies all the expectations that were put into it.....

Have fun,

Gerry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No bloodtrail, hm?....... ok.....have a look at this.....

[URL= ]blood trail 1[/URL]

If you look at the pics you could easily imagine, that tracking, as far as necessary is really not a big job.....

greetings,

Gerry

[URL= ]blood trail 3[/URL]

[URL= ]blood trail 2[/URL]

[URL= ]blood trail 4[/URL]

In the first pic in the upper right corner, you can also see a lot of hair from the animal, this pics shows the place where it was standing when it was hit, picture three is about 5 meters further and look at the lung tissue ..... it is like "jelly"....

Finally the red stag doe (field dressed without guts and head it weighed 92 kg (approx. 202 pounds)and it made 20 meters......

need more??

Greetings,
Gerry

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
We'll just have to agree to disagree.

I don't see them ever gaining popularity in the US market.

Like I said, shoot them into ballistic gelatin, compare them to expanding bullets such as the Barnes TS and NPT, and then show us this so called shock theory in action. I don't buy it. Solids don't produce much shock period. I too have killed hundreds of animals and I know how ineffective nonexpanding bullets are on game.

Have a Good One

Reloader

one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Used them and they have pros and cons.
Will I ever use them for big game no.
Will I use them for culling ? Yes
Do you have to be a good shot to use them ? Yes, if you dont hit any vitals you are going to look for a long time to find the animal.
Are they accurate ? Yes very much the best grouping I have ever had was with impalas.
They dont waste meat compared to a normal expanding bullet.

One bad thing we have seen is that the bullet richochet's if hitting big bone. Saw this on an impala female a long shot hit her vertebrae and the bullet exited and hit the ground at a 30 degree angle away from her to our left we were shooting from an elevated position. So if she was in a herd it could have hit another very easy without us knowing it.

Otherwise I havent really experienced the shock but definetly the sucking action where there was intestines or lung hanging out the exit wound.

But in the end I will stick to normal conventional expanding bullets unless I have to do a cull which they will work super for as they are very accurate and making any rifle a long range hitter.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.

Posts: 2549 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote