Find
Notify
Tools

Writing on cases
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted
Has anyone tried writing on cases with magic markers when doing load development?
Charge weight primer etc.
Will it hurt the brass? I sure can't see how it will hurt the gun/chamber.
Hope this question isn't showing too much of my ignorance.
Thanks Shawn Allen

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
I do it all the time. Beats ruining a range session after you spill your reloads and don't know which is which. I remove the writing for the next reload with a bit of Kroil on a rag. Comes right off.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have done it for years.
Doesn't seem to hurt anything.

Jamie

Posts: 322 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellas. [Smile]

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I write on the bullet. That way I don't have the hassle of cleaning ink off the cases.

Posts: 157 | Location: england | Registered: 03 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do it all the time with pistol cartridges for incremental overloads to see what happens. I use a Sharpie indelable ink felt pen.

Some one gave me a 303 cartridge with a 1909 headstamp, but they wrote "1909" in huge numerals on the case before handing it to me. I think that screwed up the collector valueFrowner

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sharpie makes an "Ultra Fine Point" permanent marker that is perfect for writing on bullets (better than the case because you don't have to clean it off). Nice thing is it won't rub off...

Posts: 61 | Location: Stockholm, N.J., USA | Registered: 10 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob G
posted Hide Post
I color code the primers or the heads with different color markers then make up a list of colors to load info. Don't have to clean the brass after the range session.

Posts: 239 | Location: North Smithfield, RI USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
<t_bob38>
posted
I have a set of small rubber "primer" stamps, 0-9. Forget where I got them though.

one of us
Picture of Elkslayer
posted Hide Post
One thought about writing on cases rather than on the bullet, with the case marked you can measure the case head expansion and check for other signs of pressure of the various loads back at your reloading bench and know which load went with which case.

Anyway, I have done it both ways, on the bullet and on the case. Great way to seperate loads.

Posts: 452 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 15 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob338...You stole my post!!
I started writing on cases, after one such spill...sakofan..
I also like to be able to knock the bullet out, and save the powder charge on a bum load, and know which powder I used.

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a Sharpee pen and number the case corresponding to the load as noted in my notebook.
Simple, number stays on, although a bit faded after firing, probably from the heat. Number is placed on the case and the primer.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a Sharpie or any other indelible marker for that matter. I roll my finished loads
for run out, and mark them at the high spot, near the case head. Works like a
charm. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
Geez, if you go to a highpower or IPSC match, you'll see more written-on brass than you'd ever believe. And the whole spectrum of colors too!

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Redial, I know where your coming from with the IPSC shooters and their colors. I use different colors to mark the heads of cases to ID same cartridge loads I use in different rifles, red for one rifle, black for another. I stops me from trying to put a neck sized case from my M700 in my M7 ect, and helps separate them at the bench.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I also use a sharpy. I like to put some sort of abreviation for the powder type, U for unique, 110 for H-110, red for red dot, etc, and then either the charge weight or powder scale setting, depending on which I used.

I usually shoot a day or two after I load up ammo, which is why occassionally I don't lable ammo, but then again, I've had ammo I thought I'd shoot in a day two that didn't get shot for several months, just long enough to forget what that load was.

Use a sharpie!

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PP is Power Pistol
LG is LIL'GUN
LS is LONGSHOT
4895 is IMR4895 [good thing those cases are longer]

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote