New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading CAN BE DANGEROUS!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just purchased a new, unused set of Redding dies in .280 at a great price. Unfortunately I don't own a rifle in .280, although I guess I'll have to buy one now.

There's something seriously wrong with this hobby.

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
Quote:

There's something seriously wrong with this hobby.

Or seriously right....

I had loaded 20 rounds (for break in) for my last rifle 2 months before I found one on the shelf to buy. Some obsessions are too much fun!

And yes, it is perfectly ok to buy a set of dies in order to justify a new rifle!

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
I've got a repro K98k Mauser sling I've got to buy a rifle to fit.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Naah, that's nothing. My wife has been shooting her 280 with reloads for three years now, and I don't have dies YET. My 7mag seater works fine, for as much shooting as she does with it.

Bullets, or dies? Bullets, or dies? Not much of a tradeoff.... LOL! Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Relax , this is normal.

It's when you buy a gun to fit some brass you found at the range that you have to start worrying.

Travis F.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I'm bidding on die sets on Ebay all of the time for cartridges that I don't own. It's how I decide my next gun, by what dies I own.

Posts: 12595 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Relax , this is normal.

It's when you buy a gun to fit some brass you found at the range that you have to start worrying.

Travis F.

Don't laugh but I've done this before! Does it mean I should seek professional help?

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

You Might Be a Gun Nut if.......

--- you have ever bought a gun to shoot up a half-filled 20-round box of ammo someone gave you, because you didn't have a rifle in that caliber yet. Ditto for when someone gives you an old set of reloading dies in some obscure caliber.

-Bob F.

http://www.strangecosmos.com/content/item/100064.html

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yup, been there done that! Got the T shirt.

The first loader I bought was a used rock chucker that had one set of dies with it, 30-06. Just happened that dad's deer rifle was a springfield 06. Another co-worker heard I had bought that loader, he came to work with a big box full of .243 stuff including dies. I hadn't decided what caliber my next rifle would be until then. That tranlated into a 700 rem, my first new rifle. That was 1972, man how time flies!

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Around here we only worry about someone if they actually start to believe what the factory press releases masquerading as articles in Road Hunter and Gut shooter Monthly say .
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I have a .280 Rem in a Tikka Whitetail Hunter NIB I'd like to trade or sell.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
These got me

-----you have an extra room in your house just for ammo and guns.

-----your home page is set to a firearms related webpage.

-----you count the number of bullets that people shoot in a movie and then scream a top of your lungs BULLSH**!!! when a guy using a revover mows down a battalion of criminals without reloading.

Found one more------if you regularly just sit and stare at your guns for a while, and the rest of your family doesn't find this strange

Doug

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, Wash, DC | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HiWall
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I'm bidding on die sets on Ebay all of the time for cartridges that I don't own. It's how I decide my next gun, by what dies I own.

Dontcha just love eBay!!

Posts: 323 | Location: Back Home in Aus. | Registered: 24 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Quote:

So YOU are the guy bidding against me!

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Relax , this is normal.

Travis F.

I had to chuckle about this one.
I picked a bunch of 375 H&H brass at the range, maybe 100 cases. Those nickle plated ones are real pretty. I've got the bullet molds already. There's 8 pounds of H4831 in the powder cabinet, along with a few thousand CCI mag primers.
Sounds like I'm ready to buy a 375 H&H!
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

That is the problem.
A reamer in 25-35 Ackley is cheap.
The brass is cheap.
The bullets are cheap.
Where are you going to get the dies?
Lots of places will sell them, but the price is too high.
If one could get an RCBS set off Ebay..... THEN buy the reamer.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dang, I don't feel so bad now! I've already loaded 50 rounds of .45-70 loads and don't even have the barrel yet!

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yea that custom TC barrel thing gets me everytime. Find an interesting chambering and buy some dies, bullets, powder and find some workable load data.........then the obvious next step is to seek out a barrel. In any other hobby/obsession this would seem backward.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I once reloaded 4,000 rds of .45ACP when I didn't own a gun to shoot it...just because I planned to buy me a Thompson sub. Ultimately bought a pistol instead.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You guys are all nuts. Have the cart before the horse. However, I did once buy a Colt D-frame revolver because I had a set of grips for it.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
had dies and loaded 400 rounds of starting load .221 Remingtons six months before the barrel shipped to me....I would have been pissed if they did n't shoot well.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

These got me

-----you have an extra room in your house just for ammo and guns.

-----your home page is set to a firearms related webpage.

-----you count the number of bullets that people shoot in a movie and then scream a top of your lungs BULLSH**!!! when a guy using a revover mows down a battalion of criminals without reloading.

Found one more------if you regularly just sit and stare at your guns for a while, and the rest of your family doesn't find this strange

I fit EVERY ONE of those to a T

one of us
posted Hide Post
Teal-- You Are Not Alone < !--color--> --

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
This whole thread is disturbing...I hate the mental cramps caused by involuntary insight...BUT consider these items...

1 - I've have bought several guns, both pistols and rifles, to fit brass I've picked up at various ranges

2 - Also bought a lathe to build guns with reamers I bought off of e-Bay

3- Bought several different rifles to fit partial boxes of normally unavailable ammo such as the .303 Savage

4 - Bought a house with an extra FLOOR of rooms to house just guns, gun-books, casting, and loading equipment

5 - Once bought a similar house that I measured in advance of making offer to be sure it would provide a rifle range out BOTH ends of the second floor gunshop

6 - Bought a new 4x4 pickup expressely for use as a "rifle range truck" and fitted it with a carpet kit & camper, with rifle racks on side windows...and still have that truck 25 years later because I still use it to go to the range at least once a week, every week of the year. It always contains at least two rifle rests, a chronograph, a range of cleaning rods and accessories for cartridges from .177 thru .475, equipment for loading at the range, a laser range-finder, tools for helping other shooters do equipment adjustments & repairs, etc.

7 - Am not sure whether I picked my wife because she doesn't count my gun expenditures or because, as a non-shooter, she can't out-shoot me. Am afraid to think more about this one...

There's a lot more, but even my therapist doesn't want to get into it...

Who says our sport is dangerous?

What was that number for Shooters' Anonymous, again?

Alberta Canuck

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thinking about selling my semi-auto pistols and just shooting revolvers cause the brass from the autos is so hard to chase down.

Just bought a Lee Speed Die, in 357mag, cause I've never seen one, and I wanted to know how it worked.

Rick

Posts: 178 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
In 1964, I walked in to the Post Exchange at Ft. Wainwright AK and sitting beside the cash register was a box of Winchester .375 H&H 300-grain Silvertip ammo with a $1.00 price tag on it. So I said to the cashier "This has got to be a mistake!" She said "No, we no longer carry .375 H&H rifles, so we want to sell all the ammo quickly." I said "Have you got any more of it? If so just pile it up here!" There were 20 boxes total, all the same, WW 300 grain Silvertips. So I got 400 rounds of WW factory .375 H&H ammo for $20.00. The fact that I didn't have a .375 made no difference. I figured I'd have one soon enough. A couple of months later, I managed to buy a hardly-fired 1949 edition M70 Super-Grade with a Lyman Alaskan in a Paul Jaeger sidemount from a guy for $125.00! He had fired the .375 once, and decided his .243 was easier to shoot! Glad I had that ammo. As a matter of fact, I still have some .375 ammo loaded in some of those very same cases.....

Sold the M 70 years ago, just gave my Ruger 1H to my son, so I am now looking for another .375 so I have something to shoot that ammo in...... That or perhaps something in .416 Rigby.....

one of us
posted Hide Post
There's nothing sweeter than saving $5.00 ona a $25.00 set of dies and then spending $500.00 on a rifle so you can utilize that $5.00 saving. What an affliction.

Posts: 58 | Location: Plain City, Ohio, USA | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
That's called "going broke saving money", buying something you wouldn't otherwise buy just because it's on sale at a bargain price. My wife does this frequently!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

This whole thread is disturbing...I hate the mental cramps caused by involuntary insight...BUT consider these items...

1 - I've have bought several guns, both pistols and rifles, to fit brass I've picked up at various ranges

2 - Also bought a lathe to build guns with reamers I bought off of e-Bay

3- Bought several different rifles to fit partial boxes of normally unavailable ammo such as the .303 Savage

4 - Bought a house with an extra FLOOR of rooms to house just guns, gun-books, casting, and loading equipment

5 - Once bought a similar house that I measured in advance of making offer to be sure it would provide a rifle range out BOTH ends of the second floor gunshop

6 - Bought a new 4x4 pickup expressely for use as a "rifle range truck" and fitted it with a carpet kit & camper, with rifle racks on side windows...and still have that truck 25 years later because I still use it to go to the range at least once a week, every week of the year. It always contains at least two rifle rests, a chronograph, a range of cleaning rods and accessories for cartridges from .177 thru .475, equipment for loading at the range, a laser range-finder, tools for helping other shooters do equipment adjustments & repairs, etc.

7 - Am not sure whether I picked my wife because she doesn't count my gun expenditures or because, as a non-shooter, she can't out-shoot me. Am afraid to think more about this one...

There's a lot more, but even my therapist doesn't want to get into it...

Who says our sport is dangerous?

What was that number for Shooters' Anonymous, again?

Alberta Canuck

Yo, Super Dude (aka AC),

WOW. And I thought I had a problem ;-)

If you ever feel you need counseling and want to relieve yourself of some of those guns and the guilt that comes with them, DO let know...

Your "friend"

Roi

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My ex was a little disappointed when she saw the custom kitchen table that I built for her:

JCN

Posted on the refrigerator are a table of relative burning rates of powders, sources for odd ball brass/loads, and a couple of pithy posts from AR about Neck Concentricity on F/L resized brass, all secured by festive cow magnets.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote