Notify
Tools

crimp or not
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Boss Hoss

You obviously are a BR shooter. I would suggest that the original poster and most here are hunters and reload for hunting situations. When you reload for BR you certainly don't have to worry about

• bullets being seated deeper in the mag from recoil from a heavy hunting load
  • cartridges being loaded into and out of a magazine several times from trips where they were not shot
  • bullets moving in the necks from compressed maximum hunting loads
  • seating bullets a long way from the lands due to mag length

Now I am not saying that I am not interested in BR techniques and certainly read every word and put it into my thought processes. But it was obvious to me that the reverse is not true with you as a BR shooter allowing for different approaches for hunting purposes as evidenced by your "you've got to be kidding" comment.

There are other shooting worlds other than BR.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woods:
Boss Hoss

You obviously are a BR shooter. I would suggest that the original poster and most here are hunters and reload for hunting situations. When you reload for BR you certainly don't have to worry about

• bullets being seated deeper in the mag from recoil from a heavy hunting load
  • cartridges being loaded into and out of a magazine several times from trips where they were not shot
  • bullets moving in the necks from compressed maximum hunting loads
  • seating bullets a long way from the lands due to mag length

Now I am not saying that I am not interested in BR techniques and certainly read every word and put it into my thought processes. But it was obvious to me that the reverse is not true with you as a BR shooter allowing for different approaches for hunting purposes as evidenced by your "you've got to be kidding" comment.

There are other shooting worlds other than BR.

If you read Carefully you will note I LOAD for both this way Sporter and BR. Never had a bullet MOVE in the case Ever from recoil and shoot as a rule higher recoiling rifles than most (338 Lapua Imp etc).

Compressed loads esp using a stick type powder is not good for accuracy but most people are not aware of that or the reason why for that matter.

Your next point please?

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
Thanks Boss Hoss. Much appreciated.
quote:
Compressed loads esp using a stick type powder is not good for accuracy
I can only guess as to why - inhibiting the primer flash, crushing the granules and even blocking the flash hole with a granule or two which might effect ignition consistancy. Would you mind explaining the real reason? Any idea why Lil'Gun might be more accurate with compression? (22 Hornet - long neck, shoulderless, tapered case, powder compressed most of the neck length. Compression seems to reduce pressure).

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have very lightly crimped some rifle loads with my Lee Collet Crimp die, and it seems like maybe there is a slight increase in accuracy.

Now that I have accurate loads developed, I will experiment with various amounts of crimp.

I also had the Factory Crimp die for my revolver, and didn't really like it. I think that for handgun cartridges, all that needs to be done can be done with a quality set of dies.

Posts: 117 | Location: Utah | Registered: 31 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 303Guy:
Thanks Boss Hoss. Much appreciated.
quote:
Compressed loads esp using a stick type powder is not good for accuracy
I can only guess as to why - inhibiting the primer flash, crushing the granules and even blocking the flash hole with a granule or two which might effect ignition consistancy. Would you mind explaining the real reason? Any idea why Lil'Gun might be more accurate with compression? (22 Hornet - long neck, shoulderless, tapered case, powder compressed most of the neck length. Compression seems to reduce pressure).

Compressed loads will break the kernels of powder and thereby causing a different burn rate of the powder---not good for generating a constant pressure which is the goal. Have borne this out with a chronograph.

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boss Hoss:
Compressed loads will break the kernels of powder and thereby causing a different burn rate of the powder---not good for generating a constant pressure which is the goal. Have borne this out with a chronograph.
Makes sense to me. I never thought of that before.

Thanks.

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote