New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel Cleaning When Load Testing
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
While testing my handloads at the range, my first 2-3 shots from a clean, cold barrel are usually about a half inch lower and slightly larger than the next few groups. After six or so shots the groups are usually 1/2" to 3/4" from my .223 Ruger M77. As I continue to shoot, I run a bore snake through the barrel to keep the deposits down every six rounds or so. As long as my groups are still good, would you guy's do a complete cleaning when finished at the range using the solvent, brush and patches? If I do this my next few shots the next time out are not as tight or the same POI as with a "dirty" barrel. Obviously just shooting paper this is no big deal but when I get that first shot at a coyote I want to be certain the bullet hits where I am aiming. Your thoughts on this please. Thanks

Posts: 153 | Location: Butler County, Ohio | Registered: 23 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
You might try cleaning the rifle as good as you can at home, fire 3 shots out of it than put it away till you fire at the range the next time. If everything works out the first three shots should be to the point of aim. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I've noticed this before too, particularily with a .22-250 Rem I had. To deal with the POI change I set mine up to shoot the first shots from a clean barrel to my zero when using it for calling purposes. Then when the first couple shots were fired, I'd get the dogs. Most calling days the gun would just begin to "tighten up" but I clean them quite a bit during the wet weather.

If/when the situation came up, I'd adjust the scope a couple clicks and keep using it. For coyote calling accuracy was good enough even at first.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you shoot them over a chrono, you'll find most don't settle down until shot no. 4 if the barrel is really clean. I've seen some varmint rifles when clean shoot 3700 fps out of a clean barrel, shoot 3800 after fouled and usually with better accuracy.

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I have read some articles about snipers if I remember correctly the cold bore 1st shot is the most important shot. The same is true for hunting rifles when I carry my deer rifle I am depending on the first shot to be where I want it. The same goes true for varmint rifles. Most of the time I have observed other people having grouping problems is from shooting to fast and not letting the barrel cool down enough. Shoot slower let the rifle have time to cool down and your groups should tighten. I always clean between groups this will help maintain accuracy but will also let your rifle barrel cool. I never leave a gun dirty and put it away if your rifle is not stainless steel you are inviting it to draw moisture and rust if it is stainless it will still corrode.

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I try all new combos with a squeeky clean,cold barrel. OAL, bullet powder type/charge, what ever. I always clean the barrel before I leave the range. Momma does not bitch about the smell, I already have the stuff out, I do not have to mess with it when I get home and it comes out much easier when it is hot. Just a wipe off with a break free covered rag I keep in the gun cabinet and you are done. If you are not shooting moly which takes alot quit alot of shots to get it to settle, crank the shot into the back stop off the paper for a fouler. My point of impact does not change much with a clean barrel. If I get the 1st shot out of the group I mark it accordingly. I keep all my test targets in a 3 ring binder. If you look at them every couple of range sessions you learn alot about your gun. I ussually run a couple of patches with Butches every 5 shots, so the barrel is ussually pretty clean on all shoots. It has really smoothed up some really rough factory barrels, it also makes me slow down and not let the gun get hot.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
More than 30 years ago I know I never shot with a clean barrel; at least not by today's standards.After hunting I would run a rag of Hoppes through the bore followed by a dry rag and tha a very lightly oiled rag followed by a dry rag, and than put the rifle away.Three rifles that received this crude treatment I could just pick up and they would hit a quarter size target first shoot every time,and secound shot and third shot and all day long.It wasn't until I matured and got sophisticated that I learned the folly of my ways. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote