THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Pronunciation of SABOT, and other words...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Reading through the archives and just came across this. I found this interesting, because my mother was a french teacher. As some have noted it is pronounced "sah- boh ", but I don't think anyone noted that the accent is on the second syllable.

Another name of foreign extraction that we commonly come across is Speer. In german it is pronounced (approximately) "shh- pay -er".

Another name that you might be familiar with is L�wenbr�u (means lion's brewery). The closest that I can come to the german pronunciation using english symbols is " ler -ven-broyee".

Enjoyed this post! Brady

<eldeguello>
posted
I France, sah boh. In an M1A1 Abrams, SAY-BO !

<eldeguello>
posted
Everyone, and I mean everyone I've ever talked to, listened to, or everheard says 'sabbit', like 'rabbit'. My dictionary says it has French origin. Could this mis-pronunciation be part of the anti-French movement?< !--color-->

Mais non, M'sieur. It's the product of American ignorance! The younger generation doesn't even know where France IS, let alone the fact that they speak a different language!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
According to a couple different articles I've read by well-known writers who have actually visited the factory, "Sako" is pronounced "Socko"...people look at me strangely when I say it like that rather than the usually heard "Sayko".

How about Franchi? I'm guessing it's "Fronki", but everyone seems to say that differently, as well.

Posts: 120 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The "good ol' boy" that I deal with at the gun store has a hell of a time with "Rigby".

An example: "Hey Ronnie! We got any of that Federal .416 Rugby< !--color--> ammo in stock?" I've tried to politely tell him that it's Rigby but he just keeps calling it Rugby! Amazing but true!!

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Franchi is Frankie in Italy.

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From reading, I always said, "SAA butt".

But my father, who sold his gun designs at Rock Island Arsenal and Detroit Arsenal and traveled there many times, says, "SAY bow".

From reading, it is kind of like "Chick a GO " for Chicago, and takes a while to break my bad habits.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bought some, shoot um, still can't say it right. I come by may country cowboy drawl honest, aint much I can do about it now.

I don't like french names anyway, wont say the same about there women.

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is a classic example of the choice between what is more important, correctness or being understood.
Around here in Oklahoma when I correctly pronounce Sako ("Socko") nobody knows what the hell I'm talking about.
Sometimes where you say something is as important has how you say it.....DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Actually, the "eu" diphthong in German is pronounced in German as "oy"; in America we typically pronounce it as "I". Hence Budweiser's Annheuser-Busch as Anhizer-Busch here, instead of Annhoyzer-Busch. Other examples are Preuss(proyse)=Price and Scheue(Shoya)=Shy.

That's what I used to think. For various reasons, I now believe that the German pronunciation varies or used to vary considerably with the region and, perhaps, social class of the speaker.

Can any of our German friends straighten us out on this?

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not German, but when my brother, who had studied German, ask for tea in the region of Germany where his motorcycle tour group was, he pronounced it "tay", as we were taught, they didn't understand him. When the people who didn't know any German asked for tea, they understood immediately. I used to have a neighbor who still had a very strong German accent, but when I imitated him, a German girl I knew couldn't understand me. When I would tell here what I had said in unaccented english, she would laugh and say, "Yes, some Germans sound like that".

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kinda reminds me of the Cajun with a dog named Fido. Someone asked him how Fido was spelled and he said, "everyone know it's Phideaux!

Posts: 151 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I don't like french names anyway, wont say the same about there women.

Gringo,
Two points to consider:
1. French women are where French men come from.
2. Have you ever seen a French woman raise her arm to hail a cab? Jeez, there's more hair under there than on an an Italian grandma's upper lip. And the smell. Talk about knocking a buzzard off a shit wagon...

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote