New
Find
Notify
Tools

25-06 fps
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been reloading my 25 according to the manual for sometime now, I recently bought a chrono,and was suprised at the actual figures.
I never went above the reccommended loads and always paid attention to pressure signs!!
So here's the results:
51gns hodgon 4831sc 120gn hornady avg 3 shot reading 3127fps.
51gns is under the max load but the fps result seems to be well over the stated..
Is this possible or is there a possibility that my chrono is faulty?

many thanks

Griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
griff,there is nothing wrong with your croney. i have been shooting one for years. i have loaded some that showed slower and some that were faster. all guns are different. i load for 3 different 30-06's and i get 3 different reading. the 3 rifels vary about 150 fps. i load for a .280 with a max load 57 gr. of RL-19 at only get 2900. the book says 3050fps. with a 140 grainer. i load for my .260 rem. with a 120 sierra. the book says 2900 i'm getting about 2950 with RL-15 at 42 grains with a 22" barrel. croneys are usually very accurate. i load for a 25-06 with 51 gr. of imr 4831 with 120 speer B.T. not the max load but it is very accurate. with about 2975 fps.

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Griff
I've never chronographed my loads for th 25-06.
Once I get close to the upper limits of the manuals and I'm getting .5 tp .75 inch groups a 100 yards I don't worry about the velocity.
I'll fire the load for point of impact out to 500 yards, make a note and I'm done.
By the way Speer used to make a wonderful 100 grain hollow point, flat base bullet that was pure poison for groundhogs out to as far you would care to shoot. The hollow point on this bullet looked like the air intake on a jet engine.
What bullets are you working with?
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
arkypete,
tried just about everthing!!
75gn v.max, accurate and devastating
100gn nosler b.t. "expensive" fragile
90gn sierra bthp superb on deer.
85gn nosler varmint excellent
120gn hornady hp accurate and holds together.
100gn barnes x couldn't get them to group!

the hornady 120gn was by far the best of the above for my rifle that is!!
got rid of all the part used boxes and now just stick with the 120gn, it is even explosive on foxes, I suppose thats due to the velocity...

might try the sst's

regards

griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot the same bullet with RL25 and get around 3175.

the Hornady has proven to be the most dependable bullet for the 25-06.

SPEED KILLS

Posts: 286 | Location: Gladdice,Tn | Registered: 17 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arkypete:
By the way Speer used to make a wonderful 100 grain hollow point, flat base bullet that was pure poison for groundhogs out to as far you would care to shoot. The hollow point on this bullet looked like the air intake on a jet engine.
What bullets are you working with?
Jim

Arkypete, as far as I know those 100gr Speer HP - the "jet intake bullets" are still available. I just got some a couple of months back. It and IMR4831 (which is no longer avail in Australia) shoots sub 0.5inch groups out of my M77 Mk1. Nothing else shoots worth a damn though.

My load is 53.5gr of IMR 4831 with WLR Primer and WW cases plus the 100gr Speer HP. Vel is 3153 fps off a 24inch barrel. Last group I fired this mth measured 0.310 inch.

I know the velocity is on the low side but heck its so damned accurate.

Regards
JohnT

Posts: 370 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
To all you gents shooting the .25-06' this is a classic cartridge we actually have had it around since 1920 back then we called it the .25 Neider. Still one companys are still trying to best. THEE absolute antelope round.

Posts: 3074 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've een the same thing with my rifle. My 115 grain BT's run 3200 and I'm two grains under max. 100gr Speer boatails run 3450 one grain under max. I get the same result with R22 and IMR 4831.

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote