THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Redding Type S FL die sizing problem...PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Redding Type S FL die sizing problem...PLEASE HELP!!!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I’m having a problem with my new redding type s FL sizing die, I took the decaping rod out to set my shoulder bump and I cant seem to get it to push the shoulder back at all on my once fired norma cases (7mm rem mag). I even over cammed the press as redding recommends on their website and I can only get ½ to 1 thousandth of movement – the die mouth is bottomed out on the shell so there is no more movement. Surely redding designed their dies better than this! Im using a hornady lock-n-load headspace gauging tool on my dial caliper to measure movement, it measures on the bottom ¼ of the shoulder (that shouldn’t be a problem b/c it measured the bump of my RCBS dies on the same brass but this is the first I’ve used it so it may be the problem).

My old RCBS dies push the shoulder back over 10 thousands and the die mouth is ½ turn off the shell holder.

Can anybody tell me what is wrong, or what I’m doing worng?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't used these new dies from Redding, but according to what I am reading on the Redding website
quote:
The adjustable decapping rod allows you to adjust the bushing position
I would think that you have to have the decapping rod in the die to set the bushing position; which may also affect the amount of shoulder bump.
Also on that web page is this
quote:
Note: For the ultimate shoulder bump control, use these dies with our new Competition Shellholders.
so you may need to get a different shell holder to adjust how much shoulder bump you get.
Remember also that these dies are used by the benchrest shooting crowd, who don't want to move the brass around more than they absolutely have to, so the dies are probably made to NOT move the shoulder much if at all
Give Redding a call or email and I am sure they will be able to tell you how to adjust your shoulder bump with these new dies.

Posts: 421 | Location: Broomfield, CO, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of two things is causing your trouble.
1.your shellholder is too thick, not allowing the die to do it's job.
2.the Redding die is too long (out of spec).

I would contact Redding customer service and ask them for assistance.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Does the Redding sized brass fit the rifle chamber? If yes, not a problem. Other wise >

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You may need a thinner shaellholder.

Posts: 185 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yea it fits my chamber but it was fired from the same gun so it fits before it's sized. It may be the shell holder, I'm sure they're all made to the same spec but I'm using a rcbs shell holder andredding makes different sized ones for more or less die engagement. I'll call redding after all these holidays end.