New
Find
Notify
Tools

22-250 to 250-3000?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey all, I know there's some dimensional differences between the 22-250 and its parent cartridge, but can the case be formed back into a 250 Savage?

Greg...

Posts: 185 | Location: Marsing, Idaho | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get a tapered sizing button. All the die makers have them.
If this brass has been shot several times you might want to anneal them.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Yep what stepchild said. A tapered expander would make it a touch easier.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Greg,
There was a time when 250 Sav. brass was hard to come by, at least locally for me. However, I did have a bunch of 22-250 once fired brass.

I already had a tapered sizer so all that was necessary for a smooth resizing was to light lube the inside neck of the 22-250 brass with moly grease using a Q-tip.

My 250 Sav. is an old model 99 take down. The 22-250 brass has worked so well and is plentiful, so I no longer look for ejected brass during rapid fire porker whacking.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 622 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
weird.. I "inherited" a small coffee can of 22-250 brass made from all sorts of cases including 250 Sav.

Posts: 6492 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, that's what I needed to know. 250 Savage brass is scarce, but I see a lot of 22-250 brass available. I'm going to build a 250 Savage on a Remington Model Seven action with a pretty piece of wood for my wife-to-be, who is somewhat recoil sensitive. Thanks again!

Greg...

Posts: 185 | Location: Marsing, Idaho | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great choice. In the old days, the .257 Roberts on the 7x57 case in a 98 mauser would be great and cheap but with costs today for the old stuff, might as well go with a Rem 7.

.250 per Mr. O'connor, was slow twisted, 1 in 14, and light bullet, 87 grains, to get the 3000 feet per second in the name. .250/3000. While it would not shoot bullets over 100 grains well, the 100 round nose became the standard. Well regarded even on the big stuff in Canada. I would suggest a faster twist. 1 in 12 or 1 in 10. Costs a tiny bit of velocity and barrel life. Increases recoil slightly some say... But gives you the option of using a 120 grain bullet if that is all you can find. With todays powders... ???

Friend claimed that there was no more accurate cartridge. He shot his at prairie dogs. Necked to 6mm it ruled the bench competition for a time as 6mm International. Available in 40X last I looked. Great choice. Best wishes for the marriage (although statistics give you 50/50). Luck. Happy Trails.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
oldMine has a fast twist and a deep throat to facilitate long heavy bullets seated out so as not to infringe on the powder capacity. It also safely allows more powder to be used on lighter bullets. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I understand that the cartridge you are wanting is now called the 25-22-250.

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
stop by the house tomorrow on your way home. I got a box of WW factory ammunition for you.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Greg,
I believe I have some 22-250- and brass you are welcome to it.
shane

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just resized a half dozen pieces in a standard 250 Savage FL sizing die. Annealed the necks, Imperial lube, run the brass in in several short passes till it clears the next, back it out and then one more time into the full length sized. A tapered expander ball would have made it easier, but these came out fine.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Just now getting the new home computer up and running after the demise of the old one. Windows 8.1 is a WHOLE LOT different than Windows XP! Going to be a bit of a learning curve here.

Greg...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got a 8.1 myself, Its not all that difficult, and I'm not computer savy, so if I can do it, you should have no trouble.

I have made a lot of 250-3000s from 22-250 brass. I used to run them thru a 6mm expander then a .257 and that worked, but the last set of dies I bought from RCBS had a tapered expander ball and it works like a charm..

The 250-3000 has been one of my all time favorite calibers for many years, it is mild of recoil and voice and accurate in every rifle I have owned and absolutely hammers deer..I have shot 4 or 5 big bull elk with no complaints and back then I used the factory 100 gr. Rem Corelokts at almost 2700 FPS and the elk made few tracks, and my dad shot over 50 with his using whatever box he grabbed of the Hardware stores counter..Great caliber.

I have not used it for elk in years, but I wouldn't hesitate to if the notion moved me. I'd just have to pick my shots and that would be a disadvantage, and todays Idaho elk have been thinned enough by wolves that I just take whatever shot I can get and shoot the first bull I see with my .338 Win. with 250 gr. Noslers.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote