Tools

Re: Barnes X's actual BC?????
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of POP
posted
Thanx...

The more I look at the point the less I am convinced,

I was just comparing it to the 272 gr 375 cal groove bullet and other than the fact that the groove is indeed a boattail, the X still looks less aerodynamic. Meanwhile the Groove looks much slicker but the BC on it is .400 How can the X have a BC of ,503????????

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That does sound pretty aggressive but..........a while back over at long range hunting they did some tests with the 168 grain .308 xbullet. They shot it out to 600 yds. We put barnes "claimed" Bc on the computer along with their velocity and drop and by golly it came out almost perfect.
If I was a betting man I'd believe what they say. ALSO-it is critical (IMHO) that to achieve the BC it has to shoot very accurately in a gun. MY comparison is a tight spiraling football is gonna "cut the air" better than one that is wobbling. Maybe some people who have shot over Oehler systems can enlighten us more.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
see??????????

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 168 30 cal X bullet has a fairly conservative (or believable) advertised BC compared with their other bullets. OTOH, their 165 is advertised with a better BC than the plastic tipped bullets when it clearly is lower.

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
B.C. varies considerably with velocity and even air density! I think a drop test would be less reliable than a remaining velocity test in which the bullet was chronographed at 100-yard intervals out to say 1000 yards or so. THIS would definitely tell you how well the bullet overcame air resistance!