Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Grams vs. Grains
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ricochet,

You're certainly right about that! It doesn't round off to 453.6 either. So, I suppose it would have to be 453.59237 to make it round off right and still come close to your 454 g/lb.

Posts: 151 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Going back some 20 years to my old Narcotic Agent days for US Customs and DEA ( started as FBN, then BNDD,) I recall in the heroin trade that:

375 grs. was an ounce or a gram?? hmmmm
24 grams in an ounce
Mexican measure

I know, that doesn't equate in USA terms...but it sure made a 2.2 lbs (one kilo) go a lot further..Never trust a crook!

Posts: 42015 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is there a known formula to convert Grains to Grams?

My friend wants to use digital scientific scales from his work to reload with until he can afford his own.

I was on a bullet makers website and they had converted bullet weights in grains to grams. Using 14 of these values I calculated the following.
Grams = 0.064*Grains + 0.0005

I would really appreciate some further information considering the possible implications.

Posts: 143 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't remember for sure, but there are conversion charts that are in the pages of some of the reloading manuals. Also I believe hodgdon's web site has the conversions. I printed them off a year or two ago. Hope this helps.

Posts: 150 | Location: upper michigan | Registered: 27 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
1 grain = 0.06479891 gram.

1 gram = 15.4324 grains.

I can send you a freeware conversion program if you will provide me your email in a private message.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks MMANINCOR
I think I have my answer in less than 10 minutes!!!!

The website you reffered to
http://www.hodgdon.com/data/general/conversions.php

FOR POWDER CHARGES

Grains converted into GRAMS, multiply by .0648
Example: 60.0 grains of H4831
60.0 grains of H4831 X .0648 = 3.89 GRAMS of H4831
GRAMS converted into grains, divide by .0648

one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
I just remember that 1 pound = 7000 grains = 454 grams. Then I can easily come up with my own conversions when needed.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
when your friend does break down and buy a actual powder scale...most digitals will readout either way. This will allow him to use data established in grams in the future.

Just a thought

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ricochet
That conversion matches Quarter Rounds share ware program so I am confident we should avoid any mishaps.

Thanks also skb2706
I haven't had the means to replace my old balance scales and didn't know the digital 'reloading' scales did that. Is using grams for powder measurement common?

With 0.05 grams approximately = 0.77 grains he should be able to develope loads up 0.05 gram increments and still use the data later. Be a lot nicer than playing around with 4 decimal places or having a pet load that you can't use latter on.
Do the 'reloading' digital scales have 2 or greater decimal places for grams?

Cheeers all
robe

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget that a gram is the weight of 1CC of water. This is where the powder densities come from.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote