New
Find
Notify
Tools

.45 ACP case length?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
While I've been reloading rifle cartridges for about 35 years, I'm new to reloading for pistol cartridges.

I recently purchased a Sig Match Elite in .45 ACP. I also bought some Hornady brass. According to the Nosler manual, trim length is .898". However, some of my cases are as short as .895" and some as long as .900". Obviously, I can trim the longer cases down to .898", but what is the correct way to handle the shorter .895" cases?

Also, what I've done so far is to sort out cases which are .896-.897" and loaded them. Is the acceptance of this range in length problematic for proper headspacing or anything else.

Bobby B.

Posts: 323 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Not to speak for everybody, but most don't trim auto loader cases. I have trimmed some revolver brass for roll crimp consistancy depending on what it's for.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
SAAMI Measurements Never seen a case over the maximum of .898" The minimum chamber (hard to find) is .898" so i feel all your brass is OK to use/shoot without any trimming. The gap between the barrel hood & bolt face can easly be .002" I have never had to trim a 45 acp. For best accuracy, the longer the brass the better as it headspaces on the case mouth. The taper crimp should be just enough to take out the bell/flare, plus maybe a hair more for the rounds to chamber. Brass can be as short as .888" and still be usable.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Didn't finish my post this morning. For the short brass just load it. The extractor will hold the case in place.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, You took a load off my mind. When it comes to reloading, I believe in safety first.

Bobby B.

Posts: 323 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
That's a good policy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never trimmed a 45 acp case in ~120,000 rounds over 30 years. (I was one of the original serious IPSC shooters). Even the bullseye guys generally don't bother. There was a test some years ago where one of the bullseye guys meticulously prepared new brass and loads and compared it to ones done on random range pickups. Accuracy was about the same. Just load them and shoot them.

Posts: 572 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote