Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lee Crimp Die Issue
 Login/Join

posted
I will freely admit here that I am a newbie in reloading.

When using the Lee Crimp die in .308, the loaded cartrdige does not engage the crimping collet to squeeze the neck. For the past hour I have been looking at it, and have been trying to figure it out.

The die itself is longer than the .308 cartridge. The only way that the crimping die would close onto the neck sides is if I push it into the die. WAY past where the shell holder stops on the end of the die.

I understand there is some "give" in this dies to let the crimping jaws close. But its at almost 1/2" off..... I got a .30-06 cartridge and the die worked perfectly in crimping the sides.

This Lee die I have is clearly maked .308 on the side.

Is there any adjustment to this die other than the outside thread and lock ring? Can the jaws in the die be moved to a lower elevation?

Or did I get a .30-06 crimping die accidentally labelled .308?

Please advise....

Thanks,

-Thed

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that you got a 30-06 die. There is no adjustment on the dies for vatious length cases.
Lyle

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. I would remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry M Goldwater.

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey Thed

Are you trying to crimp the neck onto the bullet after it has been seated with this

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=448813

or size the neck with in order to hold the bullet with one of these

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=555614

The crimp die is open at the top and you adjust it by threading it in until the open quadrants at the top start closing when contacting the shell holder. You then choose to put a light crimp by leaving spaces between the moving parts or a heavy crimp by closing the gaps. Again by looking in the top.

The Lee Collet Neck Sizing die is closed at the top and you adjust it by threading it in until it hits the shell holder and then backing it back out 2 turns so that when you close it on a case the ram handle will only go down 1/2 to 3/4 turn. Then put about 25 pounds downward pressure on the handle and it will squeeze the neck and resize it so it will hold the bullet.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ummm.

I am using the seating die to seat bullets. The the open top crimping die to attempt to crimp the .308 round.

It would work great.... if I was able to stretch .308 brass to .30-06 length.

-Thed

One of Us
Picture of glockmeister71
posted Hide Post
My first post guys.I've got the Lee FCD in 308.It's real easy to set up.They must've sent you a 30-06 marked 308.

Posts: 145 | Location: Knoxville,TN. | Registered: 12 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Okay

Sorry for the basic questions, but have to get to the right answer by ruling out basic errors first. The Lee Factory Crimp Die instructions say to

"Screw the Lee Factory Crimp Die in to touch the shell holder plus 1/2 turn more. Adjust in for a heavier crimp. It is usually best to start with too little crimp as you can readjust and crimp again to suit your needs. When the four splits in the collet are closed, maximum crimp has been achieved. Do not try for more as the die will be damaged and the crimp excessive."

Did you add the 1/2 turn after it hit the shell holder?

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woods:
Okay

Sorry for the basic questions, but have to get to the right answer by ruling out basic errors first. The Lee Factory Crimp Die instructions say to

"Screw the Lee Factory Crimp Die in to touch the shell holder plus 1/2 turn more. Adjust in for a heavier crimp. It is usually best to start with too little crimp as you can readjust and crimp again to suit your needs. When the four splits in the collet are closed, maximum crimp has been achieved. Do not try for more as the die will be damaged and the crimp excessive."

Did you add the 1/2 turn after it hit the shell holder?

Fair enough Woods. This is the internet, and I understand your reasoning: When in doubt, make sure you did not mess up the basics Smiler

I have adusted the crimp die the same way as listed in those instructions. Bottom the shellholder to the die, then add one half turn. The problem is, when a .308 cartridge is inserted into the die, the neck is still 1/2" short of where it needs to be to get crimped. Not a half turn of motion off. a half inch. The .308 cartridge must be totally enclosed in the die to reach the crimping collets. Rim of the cartridge is inside the die for it to work.

The .30-06 works fantastic in it, the crimp splits close just fine exactly where they need to be.

This boggled me for some time. I read and reread the instructions. Figuring I was missing something.

-Thed

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Then you are probably right. I'd just order another in 308, they are cheap enough and use that one for the 30-06. Unless you already have one in 30-06, then send it back.

Chances are you will get the right one this time and not get struck by lightning twice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you using the shell holder that came with the dies? Awhile back I got a new set of Lee dies and couldn't not get the seating die to seat the bullet anywhere near deep enough. With the stem all the way down, the bullet would barely seat the bullet into the case. I was loading for the 221 Fireball. With the borrowed Lee dies I had been using, I was using 223 shell holders and they worked fine. Didn't have a fireball shell holder. Got the new set of dies and couldn't seat the bullet, what the heck? Before I got too aggravated, I saw the Fireball shell holder still in the box thought "surely not" but it was. I put in the Fireball shell holder and the seating die worked perfect.

Joe A.

Posts: 152 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 06 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yup, I am using Lee shellholders. So its not a compatability issue there. Unless there is a Lee shell older which magically holds the round by the bottom of the base only. And able to push it into the die without having to use a rod on the top to force extract it. Big Grin

I called Lee, and they want me to ship it out to them and they will "check it out". So I am out shipping on this. Instead I am going to keep it. The cost of shipping VS expense of just getting another one is not worth it.

-Thed

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thed:
Ummm.

I am using the seating die to seat bullets. The the open top crimping die to attempt to crimp the .308 round.

It would work great.... if I was able to stretch .308 brass to .30-06 length.

You are following the proper procedure. As someone else wrote, I think you got a 30-06 Lee Factory Crimp die that is mistakenly marked ".308"

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote