New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3x62 compressed loads w/4350 & Barnes TSX
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just loaded some 250gr Barnes TSX over 63grs of IMR4350. New Lapua brass. It's the max load in my Barnes book. They are GREATLY compressed. The powder settles well above the shoulder up into the neck.

Never had a problem with a book load that was compressed, but this one makes me nervous.

What say you pros?

114-R10David

Posts: 1751 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Never had a problem with a book load that was compressed, but this one makes me nervous.

What say you pros?

As long as you have worked up and have a modern strong bolt action there is no problem.

Compress all you want or all you can.

You might want to start over and rework the load using a magnum primer however if you're going to compress a lot. Back up five grains and redo the workup with a magnum but this isn't necessary.

Posts: 908 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 21 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A mildly to medium compressed load can be a good thing in a heavy recoiling rifle, which the 9,3x62 isn't that bad about, but anyway it can help keep your bullet from seating too deeply in a case during recoil.

A highly compressed load can be a bad thing because it can make the bullet move forward enough to make the rounds not feed properly. IIRC it was in the book "Any Load you Want" or some manual where the story was related by an African PH at a game department had an entire lot of ammo go bad because the bullets pushed them out too far in the cases to feed properly - due to an overly compressed load. Maybe someone who has "Any Load you Want" can confirm if this is where the story was.

In any even you don't need IMR-4350 for the 9,3x62 and 250gr TSX's. I think you'll find far greater luck with RL-15, IMR-4895, Varget or comparable medium burning powder using the 250 barnes bullets. Load them to less than 2650fps or so and your pressures will be well less than 62000 psi (but over the 1909 book pressures). I've shot them in 4 or 5 different 9,3x62's and all shot them extremely well at just over 2600fps. Using Lapua brass I have not yet worn out a single case. John Barsness and Charlie Sisk did some pressure testing on some of these loads. The info is on the net if you'll do some searching around for it
I'm usually adamant about never exceeding book data but this is one of the RARE cases where it can be safe to do so because there is pressure tested data that's safe in modern rifles but exceeds the book listings which are to an old standard to be sure loads are safe for very old rifles. It's like the data you see for 45 Long Colt, some is safe for old guns, some safe for thick Rugers and even hotter data is OK for a Freedom Arms 97. Of course be sure your 9,3x62 is a modern rifle and work up carefully..........................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! The rifle is a CZ550 American. I used 4350 because that's what I had on hand. In the past, 4350 loads of 59/60/61 with the TSX 250 have shown no problems. I was just surprised today when I saw the powder level.
Thank you again.

114-R10David

Posts: 1751 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
TWL:

IMR 4350 is really too slow for this bullet/cartridge combination. I use 60 grains of Varget with a 250 grain TSX in my rifle and seat the bullets out to 3.291. If you want more data for this cartridge, check out the data provided by Real Guns at the following:

http://www.realguns.com/loads/93x62mm.htm

With the 286 grain bullets, I shoot Ramshot Big Game.

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger. Thank you.

114-R10David

one of us
posted Hide Post
North Fork 250 grain solids over RL 15/N203B so you get a very slight compression. If you are really happy with your velocity, back off two grains.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
I also use 4350 56.50 grains switching between 250 Swift A Frame and 180 grains Reloader 10x 61.5 grains copper bullers from Germany in a Mauser 03 without any pressure problems. Accuracy is satisfactory.

Posts: 1661 | Location: London | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by londonhunter:
I also use 02 compressed loads in 9.3 x 62

4350 56.50 grains switching between 250 Swift A Frame and

180 grains Reloader 10x 61.5 grains copper bullers from Germany in a Mauser 03 without any pressure problems.

Accuracy is satisfactory.

Posts: 1661 | Location: London | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not a great fan of overly compressed loads.

IMR or H-4350 is pretty bukly when used in the 9.3x62, but that's it's only negative in this cartridge. Accuracy in loads from no compression all the way thru VERY compressed with either of these powders has been extremely accurate in my rifle; and that with every bullet I've tried.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote