THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Re: Another Undeniable Truth About Reloading/Shooting!

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Another Undeniable Truth About Reloading/Shooting!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted
Well, then here's a good question:

Why is it that, on occasion, we can spend money on a gun getting a nice hand lapped custom barrel, blueprint the action, bed, float, lap, replace lugs, etc. etc., Spend lots and lots of time working up that load til we get that 'tack driver'...then go to the range, and the guy next to you is taking his brand new rifle out of the box, feeds the cheapest factory ammo through it he can find, and it groups under 1/2" too without ever breaking in the barrel?

Though, I've personally never had a factory gun do that with factory ammo, and I've spent tons of money trying different factory ammo.

one of us
Picture of Kory
posted Hide Post
Another Undeniable Truth About Reloading/Shooting:

As soon as you get comfirmation e-mail from MidwayUSA saying your order has shipped, you realize you forgot one other thing you must have.

I did that three times this week. I'm such a fool.

Kory

Posts: 860 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ican't decide if you guys have put a curse on my loading bench or released the one that was on it.Some of that stuff sounds awful familiar. LOL

Posts: 32 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kory
posted Hide Post
Quote:

A long time ago I looked on reloading as "therapy" rather than "economy", it is much easier to justify!

That's the reasoning I use to justify all of the money I've spent inorder to save money on ammo.

Kory

Posts: 860 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

And it never saves you any money over factory ammo.

It does if you are shooting stuff like .416 Rigby or worse!!

one of us
Picture of HankinColorado
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Oh weed hopper,
You have much to learn.
You will buy many gadgets and doo-dads.
You will buy many different brands of powder, bullets, brass, and primers trying to get that "perfect" load. You will never quite get there. (If I stopped buying new stuff now it would still take me 800 years to amortize the cost of what I already have.)
Reloading will make you poorer.
Reloading will also make you very happy.
JCN

Let us not forget, because you will have saved soooooo much money, you will shoot more often so that you may become "one with your gun..."

Posts: 225 | Location: Colorado Springs USA | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
I have found that primers dropped onto the floor actually pass thru it into another dimension.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Two actually:

If you drop the resizing die, it will fall in such a way as to bend or break the decapping pin.

If you drop a ready case, it will fall on the neck and bend a neet dent into the thing.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The first thing I did when I got my first set of Redding dies is order the 5 pack of replacement decapping pins thereby guaranteeing that I will never need one.

Posts: 12603 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
If you are showing some one how to reload and they drop a cartrage into the spent primer catcher, they will put the cartrage through the resizing die with out wiping the dirt off.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HankinColorado
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Two actually:

If you drop the resizing die, it will fall in such a way as to bend or break the decapping pin.

If you drop a ready case, it will fall on the neck and bend a neet dent into the thing.

The first time you use your new Lyman electronic powder measure, you will invariably leave the rear cleanout port open and dump 1 pound of VarGet all over your reloading bench. Yep, that's what I did!

Hank

Posts: 225 | Location: Colorado Springs USA | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
True, but if you put the foam padding on your concrete floor that machinists use to keep from wearing themselves out from standing all day long, you'll save your de-capping pins and cases. As I recall, a ~2'X4' pad will set you back about $20.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote