Notify
Tools

Re: 45 acp case length
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted
Is that before or after you sized them?

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
i just bought 1400 pcs of range brass for my first try at reloading for the 45 acp.the book says .895-.898 for lenght.i checked about 200 cases and only 9 of them was .895.the rest went from .885 to .892.most were .888.i checked my caliper with a 1" button and its ok.are these cases ok to reload?
thank ya,

Posts: 17 | Location: wv | Registered: 10 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Depends on what you are shooting them in!! If you are using a smith and wesson 25-2 target revolver--- they have to be correct trim to length or they will not seat deep enough in the cylinder with the moon clips and lock up the cylinder. If shooting in an auto loader -- they will be ok.

Posts: 5709 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
A little told dirty secret about 45acp brass is it shrinks on the first fireing or two, and grows so slowly you will lose them in the grass or the mouths will split before they ever need trimming.

Your cases are fine and normal from what I`ve experianced with the ACP. Load `em and have fun.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Being a reformed IPSC shooter fot the last 20 years, I've loaded tens of thousands of rounds of 45 ACP without any worries about case length. Even the Bullseye guys who are very finicky about acccuracy (1.5 inches at 50 yds) have found that random range brass is as accurate as the most carefully prepared new brass.

Posts: 569 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote