New
Find
Notify
Tools

123 gr. SST in .260
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
anyone loading the Hornady SST 123 gr. 6.5 in .260 remington.

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used the 123Gr A-Max with very good accuracy. I do not know how different they are in construction though.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
The SST is a pretty violent opening bullet as is the A-Max, their construction seems very similar. The previous owner of my 6.5-06 used 140gr A-Max on fallow deer and said they made quite a mess.

I have usually always used Sierra bullets in my rifles but have recently loaded up a batch of 7mm-08 rounds with the 139gr SST as my two hunting sons like the factory Hornady Superformance ammo with the 139gr SST so using the same bullet loaded to an average MV of 2885fps out of my 22" barreled Marlin (only a little down on the supposed velocity of the Superformance factory ammo at 2950fps from a 24" barrel, I am duplicating that ammo.

I was using these reloads myself when I shot a red deer hind last weekend with the 7mm-08 at about 70 or 80 metres distance and got complete penetration but the heart was absolutely shredded and the off side leg broken and shoulder completely bloodshot (lost the meat). I image at longer range as the velocity drops the SST and A-Max will both open very well and do a good job. To be honest I haven't seen an animals heart quite so destroyed as with the SST.

Posts: 3906 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i have loaded for my .260 & 7mm-08 for many years.. i am more interested in group size and your personal load data. right now i am loading RL-17 & H4350 i like the way the Hornady SST performes. just asking what some of yall load..

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Superperformance has proved to be a very good powder for me with all of the middle weights in the 260. H414 and IMR 4350 also did well with the A-max in 120 and 123 grain.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vines:
i have loaded for my .260 & 7mm-08 for many years.. i am more interested in group size and your personal load data. right now i am loading RL-17 & H4350 i like the way the Hornady SST performes. just asking what some of yall load..

Sorry to provide useless information, your question didn't indicate you were only after load data or that you have loaded the .260 for many years or that you like the way the SST performs, I shall crawl back to my hole Confused

Posts: 3906 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I shall crawl back to my hole

ok..