Find
Notify
Tools

Range Time Come Winter.....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Question:
NOw that we all have to embrace winter...A season I seem to have less and less patience in dealing with each year as I get older.....

Do you other guys just skip going to the range.. or wait for a good day, and then have to jockey for position with everyone shooter in town?

I go in the pouring rain... bitching all the way...because I still try to fit load development time in winter.... as I don't want to sit out for 3 to 4 months while winter does it's thing....

My wife thinks I am a nut.. So Do I....

What do you guys do?

cheers
Seafire

Choices:
Yeah, I am tough... I go in ANY Weather
Naw.. I am a wimp and stay home....
I wait for a clear day and take my chances.
I go, but complain all the way.....
Sorry, NO Rely, Busy Hibernating Until Spring

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Sea, I won't go in the rain but clear & cold, no problem. Wind is really the no go for me.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Homeboy..
You know it might just keep raining here 'til May.. What are we gonna do then??? Cool
I took a week off between Christmas and New Years just so I COULD do some shootin.. Now look at it.. Mad
Hope to catch ya there sometime... Smiler

Why do they call it common sense, when it is so uncommon??

Posts: 277 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 10 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the advantages to having a range in the back yard is I just wait for a little break in the weather. Another good thing about this set up is "no crowds."

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry about that. I live in AZ and it's kind of the reversal here. I have to get up pretty early in the morning to beat the heat in the summers although on occassion I will bring up a shade and shoot from under that. What makes it nice for me is that 8 miles away I have a 1000 yard range set up on a ranch, it has a bench etc. The winters here are absolutely wonderful. thumb

Posts: 1361 | Location: congress, az us | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Milner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reloader2:
One of the advantages to having a range in the back yard is I just wait for a little break in the weather. Another good thing about this set up is "no crowds."

you and me are very lucky I have a range in my backyard to gunsmile

my idea of gun control is a firm grip

Posts: 33 | Location: siloam springs Arkansas | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of AKJD
posted Hide Post
I usually don't go to the range once it gets below -20. Have to do all my chronographing in the summer as there is not enough daylight for the chrono to work reliably this time of year.

JD

Posts: 323 | Location: Fairbanks AK | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm out there as often as my work schedule allows. It gets cold here in NV and it gets pretty windy at times, too. But considering I came from a place in VA that offered zero places to shoot for 45 miles, and then the range was at a gun store (shoot our ammo or our reloading components or you can't shoot)-- a little cold and wind isn't so bad. I have thousands of BLM acres just minutes from my house-- Nevada is great!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot my rifles and those of my buddies three times a week, if it is not raining or snowing. The temperature does not matter. I want to know what my loads do in zero or 95 degrees because I am primarily a Deer and Elk hunter, with an occasional trip to Alaska or Canada, and one African Safari under my belt. I am contemplating a roof system over my private bench, but the final deal hasn't come down yet. I naturally do less shooting in the winter because usually one of my three shooting days has rain or snow. I do more brass prep on those long nights so when the the more consistent shooting weather gets here in the spring I will have to only charge and seat bullets. wave Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
My range is just outside the yard, and in TX, the winters are fairly mild comapred to what you folks up north endure. In fact, if there's any one time I do slow down, it's during the "warm" part of the year -- and for this part of the world, that often means 100 + degrees and 90 percent humidity.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9402 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wait for good weather and then dress warm for it. Usually there is nobody at the range in the winter.

The chrono is more trouble however and I use it very little now.

What I started doing is bringing the shooting mat and practicing more off the ground. Its not as easy in the winter but I should do it.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I go in any weather, it keeps the crowds down and I don't create such a scene when I do some offhand plinking with the big bores.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RDub:
Hey Homeboy..
You know it might just keep raining here 'til May.. What are we gonna do then??? Cool
I took a week off between Christmas and New Years just so I COULD do some shootin.. Now look at it.. Mad
Hope to catch ya there sometime... Smiler

Ditto R Dub!

It sure was packed yesterday afternoon when the sun came out for a while....Luckily I got there early....I got off about 85 rounds of 223 ammo thru two of my bolt actions.. and went thru a box of 550 rounds of Walmart/Federal 22 rimfire thru one of the 10/22s....
So I shouldn't bitch too much...Rained like hell today tho!

cheers
seafire

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went elk huning for 2 days in the sun, fine.
Then it rained for 2 hours and I drove home.
I spent the rest of my elk season vacation watching TV.

Wimp as chargedFrowner

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
I like the winter...it's a good time to use the chronograph 'cause there's nobody around. Sometimes I've gotta run the heat in the truck to get the feeling back in my fingers, but it's better than fighting the crowds. I also work 2nd shift, so I don't have to worry about not having enough light when I get out of work. I just shoot in the morning!

"It's like killing roaches - you have to kill 'em all, otherwise what's the use?"
Charles Bronson

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a wimp.

It doesn't help that the nearest range is a good half hour to 45 minutes away.

Good ole California, the prettiest landscape with the scummiest people.

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer going in the winter and spring because there is less people and I just don't feel like shooting or hunting in the summer.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tend to spend more time in the winter shooting trap and skeet than on the rifle range. That pattern reverses come spring. Mainly it's daylight. When it's dark at 5:00 it's impossible to shoot after work. We have lights on the shotgun fields.

Jeff

In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king.

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
As a fellow Oregonian you should know that around here if you don't do things in the rain your not going to do much. Razzer

Seriously my range is covered and even has wood stoves. I go in any weather, barring windy conditions. If I need to use the chronograph, I won't go when raining though. The rain really screws with it.

But you guys in Southern OR sure are getting wet the last couple of days.

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of .243man
posted Hide Post
i feel for old4x4. i also live in new hampshire and it gets freakin cold here in the winter. i usually step out back, toss a few rounds at the target, and go hug the woodstove for a while!

" I'd die to win, because i'm born to lose"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve:
As a fellow Oregonian you should know that around here if you don't do things in the rain your not going to do much. Razzer

Seriously my range is covered and even has wood stoves. I go in any weather, barring windy conditions. If I need to use the chronograph, I won't go when raining though. The rain really screws with it.

But you guys in Southern OR sure are getting wet the last couple of days.

-Steve

Yeah Steve...

down here, we are learning the motivation the Beatles had when they wrote that song.. "We ALL live in a Yellow Submarine".....

one of us
posted Hide Post
Since I retired in 96 I have gotten to shoot at the range at least once a week,and sometimes 2or 3 times a week,except during the hunting season or high winds still average over a day a week for 52 weeks a year.The only problem is the range is 25 miles away.Wished I could afford to shoot everyday but with prices of reloading supplys today it gets pretty expensive.Was looking at prices of factory ammo the other day if I had to shoot those it would probably be only one or two days a year.

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShopCartRacing:
I'm a wimp.
Good ole California, the prettiest landscape with the scummiest people.-Spencer

Can I come down and post this in your shop?

Shot all year down here ,John. Take more trips to Temecula. cheersroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger,

How close do you live to Temecula?

seafire
cheers

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot year round. I do find the heat waves coming off even a luke warm barrel at -30 are very distracting, fortunately the barrel cools in about 30 seconds...mirage gone. Barrel does serve as a great handwarmer.

aka. bushrat

Posts: 372 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 13 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:
Roger,

How close do you live to Temecula?:

About 50 freeway miles. Spent three days there last month. If you drive from up north you'll most likely pass within a mile and a half of my house. Big Grinroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My folks live in Temecula is why I asked there Rog...

Going to have to get together the next time I get down that way...

cheers
seafire
cheers

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:
My folks live in Temecula is why I asked there Rog...

Going to have to get together the next time I get down that way...:

That's what you said last year and why I brought up Temecula. Roll Eyes

Have a blessed New Year roger

one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
I prefer going on the "bad" days. I like to have the range to myself. Few people in my club would recognize me. I'm not unfriendly, I just like shooting as a solitary activity.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote