Find
Notify
Tools

New scope for my moose / griz hunt !
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Ryan
posted
Some of you might have read the rifle zero changing thread. I am pretty convenced that the problem is the scope and have FedEx'ed the scope today. However, I am considering buying a new scope. After all the scope is probably 20+ years old.

I have between $200 - $400 to spend. I'd like to get a variable power starting at 2x or 3x and ranging up to 7x - 10x...

Any thoughts on Leupold vs Burris vs Bushnell and Nikon?

Thanks !

Ryan

Ryan.Miller@rsmiller.net
www.rsmiller.net

Posts: 81 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 28 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Under $400 - get a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40! They sell for between $270 (unusually low) - $400 on Ebay. If you don't like trading on Ebay (I have had no problems, and I have bought a bunch), they can also be found at very reasonable prices at The Optic Zone, the owner of which posts here.

Alternatively, a Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x44 offers a bit more magnification at a bit higher price, or a Leupold 2.5-8x36 is a somewhat smaller scope.

I'd personally go with the Zeiss...

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of aktoklat
posted Hide Post
I personally prefer a scope with a lower variable magnification. 1.5x-5x, or 1.5x-6x. They provide enough magnification for large game. Another plus with the lower magnification is when in the alders or brush you have excellent sight pictures for close game or running game. You ever try to follow a running deer up-close with a 3 or 4 power scope (Lots of blurry objects). The low power allows one to see clearly see within feet of the muzzle. Leupold or Burris would be my vote over Bushnell and Nikon. My top vote goes to the Burris for personal reasons I have experienced with the other three mentioned brands. Thats my two cents worth! Good Luck!

Focus on the leading edge!

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the Leupold VX III 2.5x8

Posts: 156 | Location: Brush Prairie, Washington | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Nikon, Burris, or Leupold. They are all good durable scopes. Leupie's gonna probably be the most expensive. I've got some of each and you just can't go wrong w/ any of them. I guess If I had to choose, Nikon would be my first choice.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot several rifles with the following scopes, Weaver (1),Redfield (2), Burris (2), Leupold (3), and Ziess (4). My next scope will be a Ziess, without a doubt. wave Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Definately get a Zeiss. I was lucky enough to pick up a 3-9 Conquest on fleabay for about $315.

Posts: 322 | Location: Three Forks, Montana | Registered: 02 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ryan:
I fully agree with aktoklat's comment. In my opinion, you don't want or desire a variable scope with a wide power range. They are bulky and provide too narrow of field of view for close situations and rapid repeat shots. Moose are large targets and shots at large bears should not be attempted at over about 100 yds. (in my opinion).
I'd personally get a Leupold 1.5 - 5x Vari XIII. That's what I use on my .338 and this rifle is my moose, elk & big bear rifle (perhaps in the future). Expensive? Perhaps but I think you have to pay for quality & reliability. Just my comments for what they're worth. Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I would go w/ a Leup. VXIII in 1.765x6. Jus t about perfect for a mixed Alaska hunt, IMO.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Zeiss Conquest, pick your power etc., but it ain't that big a deal to leave a 3x9 set on three power when needed, and I don't think you'd really ever notice a field of view differential inside 100 yards unless you were really looking through one scope and then another and back and forth and so on....

Good Luck with you rifle and your hunt! --Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My two favorite scopes are the VX III/Vari-x III 2.5-8x36 and the 3.5-10x40. Either one would suit your .300 Weatherby perfectly( I use a 3.5-10x40 on mine) and are tough scopes. But 2.5-8 is a bit short to use on a MarkV with standard mounts. That said the VX/Vari-x II 3-9x40 is probably the gold standard of all scopes on the market.

Posts: 1244 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its hard to beat the Leupold 2.5-8 VXIII, another great choice is the Leupold 2-7 euro, with the 30mm tube. Its oneof my favorite scopes of all time. I put one on a 35 whelen that I had made up for my dad. Crystal clear and gathers quite a bit more light than my VXII 2-7.

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello the campfire:
Please let me make a sugestion. I use Ziess and leupold scopes, and have used others. They all work.
Try each that you are interested in on your rifle if you can befroe you buy. I put a Zeiss conquest on my Mod 70 andwas not happy with it. It just did not feel right and the eye releif was funky. I put the same scope on a custom 03 and could not ask for anything better it is perfect for that rifle. I put a leupold on the mod. 70 and it cleared up the eye releif problem and is a joy to shoot. I have another Leupold on an A-Bolt and it feels right. It has to do with the length of the scope body, where your bases are and your stock length. The Leupodl on the M70 was bought for the 03, but would not fit with the Tally bases on the rifle. The Zeiss would.go figure,
Just my two or three cents.
Judge Sharpe

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?