Tools

Opinion: PACT Professional XP Chronograph
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted
Re: PACT Professional XP Chronograph

Hi All-

My friend moved away recently and with him went the chronograph... I miss the chronograph more! (Just kidding Nate)

So, I am in the market for a new chronograph.

We used the previous version of the PACT with the built in printer. It occasionally missed a shot or two, but overall I like it.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the newer "Professional XP" version.

http://www.pact.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=19&Itemid=67

Also, what is the story with the "IR Version"

As always, your experience and/or suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

MDL

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one and am very happy with it. I had a problem with missed shots so I called and got a solution. They were very quick and helpful.
TJ

Posts: 304 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 12 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a couple of Pact Chronos and timers when shooting IPSC in the 80's. Got busy at work in the 90's and retired in 2001. In the old days the timers never gave me any trouble at all.

Upon finding that my Chronos would not start when I went back to use them, I called Pact who ask that I return them for free service ... even though they were 15 or more years old.

My guess is that some of the capacitors on the PC board simply aged out. Have had no problems with them since.

Great company!

They fixed them and paid return shipping. Now THAT's what I call service.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the resonses.

I am now curious as to why I missed an occasional shot as well (bright sunny days, light from the late afternoon sun).

What was the solution they gave you?

Thanks again!

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DIXIEDOG
posted Hide Post
I have the PACT Professional XP Chronograph with IR sensors and it has worked very well so far. I don't have a problem with missed shots with mine, I have used it in varying light and still no problems. The only time you need the IR sensors it when it is too dark to use a normal chrono or indoors, otherwise you just don't bother plug the sensors in to your 120 outlet. If you shoot a rifle using a muzzle break be sure to set the readout unit a ways behind the muzzle, my first shot through my AR with and Izzy break and out of the corner of my eye I saw my readout fly into pieces. After the initial heart sinking feeling of having my brand new chrono come to it's untimely death I looked at it and saw that only the printer cover flew off, whew, put it back on and all was good.

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
Hahaha! Dixiedog, that was a close call! I can't help but laugh because I have twice seen new chronographs get blasted to bits at the range... of course, it's only funny if it's not yours.

Anyway, thanks for the update. I am glad you haven't had the missed shot problems encountered by some of the early models that I have both experienced myself and read about on the forum. Your input is much appreciated!

Anticipating a purchase by Wednesday, I am trying to decide between the CED and the PACT now, with preference to the PACT at this point.

Thanks again,

MDL

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Pact PRO is about 10 years old now, works great. I like the new version's case better, it looks cool, but doubt it the guts have changed much if any.

The Pact PROs have the most versatile internal computer I know of. It calculates trajectories for any altitude, temp, cross wind, velocity, BC, zero range and sight height and prints it as a chart. Also calculates various terminal energy values. Mine is not finicky at all, reads consistantly if I don't let the sun shine directly into the photocell slots. Having the remote read-out sit beside me rather than in the line of fire is an added advantage too.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote