New
Find
Notify
Tools

neck or full sixe
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Smiler Big Grin I know this has been asked before, but for hunting rounds what has been most people's best round, one that has the neck only reshaped or full sizing the whole case. Say on bolt action rifles as some autos, etc need to be full sized anyway.

Posts: 671 | Location: none | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I like to full size hunting ammo if it will shoot in said rifle. I've had pretty good results w/ some rifles that will shoot tiny groups w/ FLRed rounds. I'm not really concerned about brass life in hunting rounds because most of it is lost in the field when shot at game. I've always FLRed for autos for feeding concerns. A good tube will usually shoot sub MOA w/ any type of sizing as long as it likes the powder charge and bullet.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
I full-length size all my brass before the first loading.

After that they get neck-sized only, and then just 1/2 to 2/3 of the neck.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerWell Steve you just answered what was bugging me as I have a bunch of new Remington 22/250 cases coming and a Delux lee three die set where you can full size or size the neck only. So full size the first shooting and then set the die where you size 1/2 to 2/3 of the neck. Alright will do!

Posts: 671 | Location: none | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see no reason to size any case beyond what it takes for it to chamber easily. Adjust your sizing die so you can close the bolt easy and thats it.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesB1, You could go either way. If you chamber each loaded round before you go into the field, neck sizing is just fine**.The FL precludes the possiblity of carrying a round into the field for hunting that may been previously fired in another rifle and the brass got into your stash by error.

**In Snowwolfe's posting the key words areeasily And easy.

A classic example of the problem caused by not FL sizing happened years ago when I was usin a Win. Mod 95 in 30-06. After firing the cases came out so so but if you tried to put it back in only neck sizing you weren't about to get that lever closed all the way. Rare occurance? Yes! Can it happen else where? absolutly not. Right Mr. Murphy?

Steve are those new face hairs? boohooroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
quote:
Steve are those new face hairs?

Many years ago, when Moses and I were crossing the Red Sea an angel of the Lord appeared to me and tole me not to shave during deer and/or antelope season, until I fill all my tickets.

Rather than get my butt roasted in a burning bush, I follow the angel's instructions...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ricciardelli:
quote:
Steve are those new face hairs?

Many years ago, when Moses and I were crossing the Red Sea an angel of the Lord appeared to me and tole me not to shave during deer and/or antelope season, until I fill all my tickets.

Rather than get my butt roasted in a burning bush, I follow the angel's instructions...

AMEN BROTHER claproger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Either way will work if done properly...I used to neck size a lot, but sooner or later you will get a failure to feed, but only when a big deer or elk is in the sights I assure you.. boohoo Of course that could be because you did not try all the rounds in your rifle prior to the hunt, but few will do such things.

I kept some records on case life and accuracy and their wasn't enough difference in accruacy or case life to make a lot of difference...

Based on that I mostly just full length resize, but a lot depends on the die chamber fit, some rifles just require that you fit the case to the chamber...Just use common since is the best advise, the gun itself will show you what it needs in most cases...

I suppose the bottom line is that whichever way you chose to do it will work, IF you take the time to do it right....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amen to exactly what Ray said

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote