New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Powder Drop Tube
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I need a long powder drop tube for some of the powders I use in my 376 Steyr. What do you recommend and where can I buy one?

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
An Aluminum Arrow Shaft is my long one. I put Line Serving(like you use to tie eyes on a fishing rod) at each end so it sticks securely into an MTM Funnel Set.

Aluminum will not generate Static, so that is why I use it. I think mine was $1 or $2 at an Archery Range and it was used.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a long drop tube too. Big Grin

But seriously, I've noticed that using it really doesn't help that much. I get the best results by dumping in the powder as normal into the funnel with the powder pan and while the funnel is still on the case neck, tapping the funnel repeatedly till the powder settles.

I still have to do that even if I use the long drop tube anyway.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've found this to be more than adequate. It's only got a 4" tube but it does a lot to seat the powder more compactly.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try Buffalo Arms Co.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/

Posts: 388 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Varmint Al says,

quote:
COMPRESSED LOAD--MAYBE NOT.... If you are using one of the slower burning powders that fills the case and end up with a compressed load that shoots the best, it might not really be a compressed load. Here is a trick to get two pounds into a one pound bag. Don't use a loading block when you charge the cases with powder. Merely hold the case in your fingers under the powder measure. After throwing the charge, continue to hold the brass with the neck still in the drop tube and tap the side of the brass lightly with the shaft of a small screwdriver eight to ten times. You will find that the tapping will settle the powder an 1/8 inch or more and maybe enough so it won't be a compressed load after all. It works much better than the long drop tubes, but takes a little extra time. Try the experiment below.

DO THIS EXPERIMENT.... To see how the tapping technique can compact powder, do this simple experiment. Take a case and set it up in a bowl to collect the excess power. Then place a funnel over the case mouth and with a spoon fill the case, until it is over full, with the powder you want to test. Then lift off the funnel and wipe across the top of the neck to remove the heaped up powder. Put the funnel back on the case mouth and pick up the case and funnel and lightly tap the side of the case eight to ten times with the screwdriver shaft. Remove the funnel and see how far down the powder has settled.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've got long drop tubes, but they don't really seem to do that much good. If you really want to maximize the load try doing it in 2 phases, fill the case about 90% full, then hold your finger on the mouth and touch the head for a couple seconds on a vibrating polisher. then finish the fill. its a process, but you will get maximum fill

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a long drop tube too.

But seriously, I've noticed that using it really doesn't help that much. I get the best results by dumping in the powder as normal into the funnel with the powder pan and while the funnel is still on the case neck, tapping the funnel repeatedly till the powder settles.

I still have to do that even if I use the long drop tube anyway.

+1 I have some loads up to 1.10% of capacity. I have a 4" tube. I tried a longer one but found it didn't make much difference. I dump the powder slowly and if needed tap the side of the case. Then if a little more is needed as long as the powder is in the case I let the bullet compress it further.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I'll have to try the Varmint Al tip with my next batch of 77's.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I tried the long drop tube also, but did not have a lot of luck. Had an old electric shaver that did not work well (low vibration from a slow motor). I use it by touching the case to it and all excess powder quickly fits!

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I do mine by holding the case with one finger over the mouth and touch it against the side of my vibratory case cleaner. It will settle the powder quickly.

Happy Shooting
sonnyboy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a 4" tube and install a spring with small diameter in the drop tube. This gives a swirl to the powder. I drop my powder very slowly. Try dropping your powder slowly and see what happens.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That should say small diameter wire size.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish to thank everyone for their information.There are many good ideas. I tried Butchloc's idea today with great success. I filled up a 376 Steyr case to overflow with Varget. Then I held my finger over the top and touched it to my vibrating polisher. The powder settled at least 1/8 inch or more. Next I measured out 65.5 grains of Varget(The maximum listed for a 270grain bullet). The powder was up in the neck but settled down to about where the case shoulder starts to narrow from the body. I would say that is about perfect. Before, the case was full up to the start of the neck with about 62.5 grains. Should be able to load some longer 300grainer to about 3.110 inches without any problems. Thanks again

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote