THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    minimum velocity of Nosler Partitions for expansion

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

minimum velocity of Nosler Partitions for expansion
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The website shows a graphic of a bullet at 1800fps. is that the minimum expansion velocity for all Partitions in all calibers?

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, according to Nosler's FAQs.

http://www.noslerreloading.com...opic.php?f=16&t=1347

quote:
Partition:
Minimum Impact Velocity for Reliable Expansion- 1800 fps
Maximum Impact Velocity for Reliable Expansion- N/A

Ballistic Tip:
Minimum Impact Velocity for Reliable Expansion- 1600 fps
Maximum Impact Velocity for Reliable Expansion- 3000 fps

AccuBond:
Minimum Impact Velocity for Reliable Expansion- 1800 fps
Maximum Impact Velocity for Reliable Expansion- N/A

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you sir.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
The front half of a Nosler Partition bullet is a normal cup & core bullet. Any velocity which will reliably expand a cup and core Sierra, Hornady, etc., will expand the front half of a Nosler Partition bullet. Even the highest velocity obtainable on this earth from a hunting rifle will almost never expand the rear half.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just what AC just said

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
The front half of a Nosler Partition bullet is a normal cup & core bullet. Any velocity which will reliably expand a cup and core Sierra, Hornady, etc., will expand the front half of a Nosler Partition bullet. Even the highest velocity obtainable on this earth from a hunting rifle will almost never expand the rear half.

^^^^This^^^^

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gotta love those Nosler partitions, they just work every time..Ross Seyfried once said in an article that those who claim Nosler failures just didn't know what they were looking at or just plain lied..I sorta agree with that, inasmuch as I have never had a failure in over 60 years of constant use in many different calibers..I have recovered some Noslers on extremely long shots and I suspect the muzzle velocity was around 1800 or perhaps left and they were perfectly expanded muchrooms wherein at very high velocity they may or may not blow the front section off, but when the do blow the front section off you still have a mushroom and internal damage is awesome... Pay no attention to the exit hole as sometimes they are just small, but that is when the front section blows off and the base exits, and that is not a failure, they actually kill faster it seems. this has been my experience with them..I'm playing with accubonds now to see how they compare, they seem a little hard so far, but we'll see.

That said I don't use them in calibers below .284 as even though they work, expansion isn't much of a cross section of a perfectly expanded 6mm for instance, so I use cup and core bullets in the light calibers.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Ray is right on this one. If the Nosler Partition dosen't perform, you hit the critter wrong. It's my favorite elk bullet in 30-06, 180 grain around 2800 fps. At 200 yds, complete pass thru on a 3 rib back shot, DRT.

IMO, no need for anything else in this application.

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote