Find
Notify
Tools

New Sierra Manual!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted
Went to the store Saturday to pick up a can of Bluedot, and the new Sierra manual followed me home (really, honey, can we keep it?). That, and they had Wipe-out in the bargain bin, so two of those cans followed me home, too.

Darned expensive jug of Blue-dot, I tell you!

Anyway, the Sierra manual has instantly become my favorite reloading manual. Not only does it have just about every cartridge, it's improved version, and it's pistol version, the data is very much up to date. I checked the 223, 6ppc, 240 Wby, 280, 7 mag and 35 Whelen data against my log, and velocities (and recommended loads) were scarily similar to mine. Of course, since their data are the same as mine, they must be right. [Big Grin] I did notice that most of their test rifles are Savages, so that just shows they know what they are doing, too [Wink] [Cool] .

Wipe-out works great in pump rifles! Bye-bye to patches! Looks like lots of uses per can, to boot. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to order the new Sierra manual last time and it has a pic of a .358 Win buddy in there. I will try to get one next time. I like Sierra's bullets a lot but never went for the format with the velocity rounded off and the grains of powder in decimals like Hornady does it.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Huntaholic>
posted
Could I ask a tiny little favor of you? Could I please get you to send me the load data for the 300 RUM? PLEASE!!!!

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
huntaholic, your email's bouncing..... email me with a fax # and which bullet weight, and I'll do my best.... Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do they have 338-06 data in there? I haven't bought a new reloading manual in quite some time. The 11 that I have on hand now seem to do the trick, but I probably should update the collection with some new ones.

Turok

Posts: 219 | Location: Prince George, B.C | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Huntaholic>
posted
Sorry about that Dutch! I hadnt updated my profile in quite a while and I no longer have that ISP. I just updated my profile so it should work fine now! I was looking for data for 165, 180, and 200 gr. bullets. If a fax works easier for you, send it here: 1-931-526-7970 and please post it to the atention of Tammy, (my wife). I appreciate it!

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Turok, the Sierra manual has the 338-06 listed in it. The new #13 Speer and the new Nosler also have data for this cartridge with the Nosler "appearing" to have the most data listed.
All seem to be the "A-Square" version of this round.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Frank>
posted
I got the siera manual and it is great except they do not have any Bullet BCs in it. It would be nice to have the BCs in there.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi fellows, I was really supprised when some one called me and said my picture was in the manual with a bear in the section about the .358 win. Picture sure doesn't do the bear justice. It was pure platium blond, went 500 + and 6' 7" from nose to tail. The ol' .358 win put him down with one shot and I have a life sized mount of it in my so called den. I shouild be estatic but the next night I video taped a much larger black and have been after him for the past few yrs. Will try again this Spring. The nice thing aboutSierra is being able to call their technicans One I've talked too "Rich" has often given me loads that aren't in the manual. Of course he is a .358 nut like me

Posts: 367 | Location: Farmington, Mo | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have three pics of Carl, his BLR and that blond bear that he sent me a while ago.

Now that he is a celebrity there is some kidding that goes with the fame. The thought that comes to mind is what caption to use? I have a old book with a pic of Elmer Keith in Africa with a warthog that he shot. When I was a kid (1955) I put an arrow pointing to the warthog and labeled it warthog!

Elmer was a pretty ugly guy so the caption helps. In Carls case you can tell him and the bear apart.

Sorry in advance about this Carl but somehow this is what you get from your buddies. In case you retaliate remember that I have not selected the caption yet. [Big Grin]

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If your friends rib you once in awhile,they would't be friends. I would like to see the picture when you get a caption. Might notice I've been hitting the grub pretty hard. I've got to lose some weight !

Posts: 367 | Location: Farmington, Mo | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frank,
You can get the Sierra BC's at their web site, I don't know why they don't list them in the book too [Smile] .

Posts: 588 | Location: Central Valley | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Sierra does not list BC values because the BC is computed from the velocity of the bullet.

Sierra was the first to list three different BC's for each bullet, depending on velocity, and I congratulate them on not listing them at all now.

Since we don't shoot in a vacuum, the BC is essentially useless, except at the exact speed, altitude and barometric conditions specified...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .358:
Might notice I've been hitting the grub pretty hard. I've got to lose some weight!

How about "Much like the bear, Carl's got a 'deer' gut" [Smile]

Turok

Posts: 219 | Location: Prince George, B.C | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have about 50 load books, and I like the 50th aniversary Sierra the best. I am going to have to get the new one.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Huntaholic:
Could I ask a tiny little favor of you? Could I please get you to send me the load data for the 300 RUM? PLEASE!!!!

Sorry I'm late coming into this thread but in case you still need some load info Hodgdon has some on their site (using their powder of course):
Hodgdon 300RUM loads

Hope it's of some use to you and enjoy your range time.

Cheers,
XWind

Posts: 203 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ricciardelli:
Since we don't shoot in a vacuum, the BC is essentially useless, except at the exact speed, altitude and barometric conditions specified...

What about developing a "Ballistic Coefficient Index?" This way we could establish the relative BC of all bullets. Put them on a scale of 1 to 100.

This is based on the premise that a bullet which has a BC 2x better than another in one condition is 2x better in all other conditions. If that doesn't hold true then my idea is worthless. If it does and there's no other kinks we could all say to each other "XYZ bullet has a BCI of 50" and know that in whatever conditions we're shooting XYZ is in the middle the pack in terms of BC.

What does everyone else think about this? Has this already been developed, or has it been tried and failed due to inconsistencies?

[ 02-15-2003, 00:13: Message edited by: Gonzo FreakPower ]

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote