Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Primer seating issues on L.C. brass
 Login/Join

posted
After swaging brass, the primers go in ok but just are not going in as far as needed. On a LNL.Seems a little better on the lee single press. Am i not swaging enough or should i go to a hand primer and maybe get better results??

Posts: 2 | Location: Juneau, AK. | Registered: 12 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a lot of LC brass and the std. brass, i.e., mil spec., I simply take that tool that you use to chamfer the inside of the neck with and put a slight bevel in the edge of the primer pocket. I use a battery powered screw driver with what is called a "brass cat" and it chucks into the power tool. If you don't have one, it can be done by hand as well, just slower. Lake City Match brass does not require any such work to accept the primers. Never really cared for the swaging proces for it does deform the primer pocket of the brass and the chamfering away of the crimp does not affect the overall primer pocket. Lake City is good brass and the Match grade is even better and will provide quite a few rounds before having loose primer pockets. Just my experience.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Try the hand primer first. Then slight adjustments on the swagger.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
You didn't say what cal you are reloading or what brand of primers. On SR primers some brands run larger than others (CCI). If the swage/deburr op suggested above doesn't solve your problem, try a different brand of primer. Might help.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote