Find
Notify
Tools

new brass, runout, and custom chamber
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted
I have found that strait brass necks make strait loaded ammo, so I sorted out some brand new brass I got and only used the brass with the least amount of runout in the neck usually they had about .002-.003, I then fired these and measured them again once I got home, I found that all brass measured about the same and had virtually no runout what so ever now, I was wondering if this could be a good indicator of how strait your chamber is cut

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I would say that you have a fairly true chamber.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely....but I have about 25 guns in my safe and never had one that had runnout on fired brass....maybe I'm lucky but i'd say it is the norm.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
By the way....shoot that brass you've been "culling out". I'll bet it shoots right with the stuff you picked as your "high grade" stuff. And the runnout will then be fixed for your 2nd reloading.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kraky:
Absolutely....but I have about 25 guns in my safe and never had one that had runnout on fired brass....maybe I'm lucky but i'd say it is the norm.

Damn! Right again! thumb

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote