New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading 6.5x55 in a Norwegian Krag
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone here load the 6.5x55 specifically for use in the Norwegian Krag? A coworker of mine is getting one, and he has a relative who loads the 6.5 for a modern rifle. Is there a strength issue with the Norwegian Krag, like the US Krag in 30-40, in that my coworker should not use the same loads as his relative uses in a modern 6.5 Swede?

Posts: 454 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyreb:
Does anyone here load the 6.5x55 specifically for use in the Norwegian Krag? A coworker of mine is getting one, and he has a relative who loads the 6.5 for a modern rifle. Is there a strength issue with the Norwegian Krag, like the US Krag in 30-40, in that my coworker should not use the same loads as his relative uses in a modern 6.5 Swede?

my coworker should not use the same loads as his relative uses in a modern 6.5 Swede? EXACTLY dancing

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe the Speer # 13 reloading manual will help it talks about loading for some of the different actions in 6.5X55. I have two A Carl G. 1903, and A Ruger 77 MKII and I do load differently for the two. hope things work for yah.

Posts: 185 | Location: MICHIGAN | Registered: 21 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
I would suggest doing a web search for Norwegian-Krag...Wikipedia has an excellent informational tome on the Krag including all the particulars of developement. There are about 600 hits on Yahoo alone. Read some and answer your own question...it's safer that way. Big Grin Eeker coffee

The 30-40 Krag is a lower pressure cartidge, 40 KCUP, while the 6.5x55 is a bit higher at 46 KCUP, but if the rifle is original and not modified in any way you can shoot factory or military loaded 6.5x55 ammo in it unless it states on the box it is for modern high pressure rifles only. I've had no problems shooting most brands except Norma 6.5x55 in my OEM military M96 Mauser Swede. salute

As to shooting reloaded ammo...only you know if you are qualified to stay within SAMMI MAP parameters. Every reloading manual I have states something about staying on the low end of the pressure scale when loading for military rifles such as M96 Swede or other earlier military rifles. Read and heed.
Roll Eyes

All the normal weasle words apply...like "it's your bacon to fry"..."not my responsibility"..."you did it, not me" and so on. troll pissers shocker

'Njoy

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by johnnyreb:

I think if you research the Norwegian Krag a little you will find it is stronger, slighty better in design and is made from better materials than the US Krag.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I load a US Krag with a load of 25 grains of SR 4759.. with about any bullet weight...from the 220s or down...

For my Mauser 6.5 x 55, I also use the same 25 grains of SR 4759 with 140 and 160 grain bullets...

of course, work up, but both of these loads should be more than safe for any Krag...

I don't push my Krag, and with the 30 caliber Krag it gives an MV around 2000 fps..pressures off some older load data listed the pressure at somewhere in the 38 to 40 K range...

another light effective load, duplicating the original 6.5 x 55 loads from the 1890s, is 30 grains of RL 7 or IMR 4198 with 160 grain Bullets.. MV is in the 2150 to 2200 fps range in a 6.5 x 55...a 140 grain bullet will work fine also...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote