THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 x 55 Swede handloads, 300 yard test...
 Login/Join

<green 788>
posted
First things first: Thanks for the Ken Waters recipes, Hobie. I tested all three today in my 1912 CG M96, and they all performed well. One performed exceptionally well...

The Waters recipes that Hobie shared with me were all for 140 grain bullets, pushed by the following charges:

39 grains of H4895 (okay, I cheated here. I used IMR 4895 which would be slightly different).

45 grains of H4350

46 grains of IMR 4831

I set the OAL at 3.125", which approximated the Swedish military 139 grain ammo that has done so well in both of my M96's.

I loaded seven each of these three recipes, and went to the field. Firing prone from sandbags, I tested the IMR 4831 load first. All seven shots grouped just under 6 inches, which was acceptable--especially considering that my rifle is not scoped--I was using the original issue iron sights. If I could have thrown out two of the shots, 5 would have been 1.5 MOA.

Next, the IMR 4895 loads were tested. This group strung vertical just a bit, but still was under 2 MOA (6 inches). It's possible that the H4895 powder that Ken Waters recommends for this load would tighten things up a bit.

The star of the show was the 45 grian H4350 load. Six shots broke MOA, and I called a flyer. I should admit that by the time I fired this group, lighting was better than it was for the previous two. The primers used for all loads were Remington 9 1/2's, but I had also brought six additional rounds of the H4350 load which I'd used Federal 210 GM's in. I shot two of these into the existing 6 shot MOA group, and they landed right in it. This target is a keeper, for sure. Eight shots under 3 inches at 300 yards.

All of these recipes are considerably faster than the Swedish 139 grain military stuff, however. I didn't measure the distance, but they were hitting about 18 to 20 inches high of POA on the target board.

There was a basketball sized rock impressed into the side of a bank at 410 yards, and I fired two of the Federal 210 GM primed H4350 loads at that rock. I was shooting alone, so I couldn't tell if I'd hit the rock or not. I went over to the rock, and was looking for bullet strike marks on it when I noticed that about 6 inches above the rock were two holes in the dirt bank, about 3 inches apart from each other. Tight shooting load, yes...

But the factory 300 meter sight setting seems to be putting these loads on zero at about 425 yards, to guess.

I'm very pleased with the performance of the H4350 load, to be sure. I'm considering scoping (with the B Square forward mount) my 1918 CG, so this might be an excellent load for that rifle, if it shoots it as well. I'm betting that it will.

I'll still be looking around for a slower load which follows the factory sight scale of my 1912, however.

Take care,

Dan Newberry
green 788

<bearlake>
posted
Sounds like a great shooter. Is that scope mount for a scout type scope? I have been looking for one of them. Did these loads seem to heat the barrel up more then the mill stuff? Who is the maker of your sweed?

one of us
posted Hide Post
With 44 grains of AA4350, I get 2793 fps out of a 140 grain pill in my M96, and very similar groups. Sounds like we both came to the same conclusion.

I did replace the rear sight with a Mojo aperature sight, and that helps me quite a bit.

Isn't the Swede a super piece of work? Just gotta love it.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
The Swede I was shooting in this test is a 1912 CG M96, with a presumably fresh bore (no stamping on the bore condition segment of the disc).

I was using the factory iron sights for this shooting, but I'm considering trying one of the B Square mounts which attaches to the factory rear sight base. You then mount a scout type scope in it. I've heard both good and bad about these, so my mind isn't made up yet. The advantage to this type of mount is that it does not alter the rifle permanently.

My 1918 with a #3 bore shoots just as well as the 1912. I've seen several #3 bores shoot as tight, and sometimes tighter than the "0" bores. I was considering putting the scout scope on the 1918.

I discovered last night that the "prickskytte" ammo which everyone had been telling me used 139 grain bullets actually uses 143 grain bullets. That's got to account for some of the trajectory difference. I may try some 142 Sierra Matchkings, if I can't find any 143's. I do want to duplicate the prickskytte trajectory, as my rifle's sight settings are for this ammo.

Thanks for the interest,

Dan Newberry
green 788

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi green 788!

The "prickskytte" ammo shoots quite good considering that it�s military ammo!!

The word "prickskytte" is a bit tricky to translate. Sniping would be my closest guess.

A "prickskytt" in swedish means a sniper in english. The word "prickskytte" would be something like SNIPING ammo.

Be sure to get the boxes (of 20 rounds) with the lot nr. pressed into the cardboard!! There is also ammo made by Hirtenberger in Austria that really shoots bad..... The box look exactly the same but the lot nr. are printed with blue inc. not pressed into the cardboard. The seal around the primer on the good stuff are green. The junk from Hirtenberger have a black seal.

If you look at the bottom of the cases the year of manufacturing is stamped at 9 and 3 a clock. Onde number on eatch side of the primer. The year of manufaction is also in the lot nr. on the box. I can�t remember exactly the numbers to look for in the lot nr. but it�s in the 4-5 last nr. Look at a round in a fresh box and compare to the lot nr. and you will figure it out!

Good shooting!

Stefan.

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
Thanks Stefan,

I'll check what I have, but I'm almost out [Frown] ...

I would like to find some more 143 grain bullets like the prickskytte stuff used. There seems to be 46 grains of RL22 in these loads. How long has RL22 or its equivalent been in production? The current "Reloder" series of powders, imported by Alliant to the U.S. are made in Sweden.

I love my Swedish Mausers!

Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
We don�t get the Reloader powders here in sweden [Frown]

The smell of fired "prickskytte" ammo is quite distinct though. It smells quite different from Norma powders that is made by Bofors, the only powder maker i know of here in sweden.

I�m planning a visit at Bofors next spring. I will try to get some info about the Reloader series then!

Lapua makes a similar FMJ bullet. It�s a 9.3 grams FMJ BT, i would say the accuracy of the Lapua bullet is far better than the army stuff.

Stefan.

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Dan, with that H4350 load, any idea on velocity??

one of us
posted Hide Post
Where are you guys on this side of the pond getting the "prickskytte" ammo? And roughly what does it cost?

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
Johnny,

I don't own a chronograph. [Frown] As much reloading and shooting as I do, I suppose I should get one...

The estimated velocity of the 4350 load, from the 29 1/2 inch barrel of the M96 is 2800 fps. I believe the Prickskytte ammo moves at a slower 2635 fps from the M96's, if I've been informed correctly.

Gatogordo,

I found the few boxes I have at a small gun shop in Virginia that is now out of business. I'm going to make a contact today to see if I can locate some, though. There were battle packs of this stuff available, which the Swedes called a "loaf." I may have a lead on some of these--I'll have to check. Did you get your rifle yet?

Stefan,

Thanks for the info on the powder. I'm certain that the Reloder series of Alliant powders are made in your country, as the jugs are labled such.
It is probably known by a different name if it is availble to consumers there. The RL22 is an extruded powder, of very short gray particles.

Take care,

Dan Newberry
green 788

one of us
posted Hide Post
Green788:

I bought it last night off of auction arms, had to go higher than I wanted but, hell, it's only money. The #3 barrel concerned me, as well as the design of the sights....that is, they don't look like the soldrin(?sp?) that I have seen on others. But I've got it now, so will find out more when I get my hands on it. Just picked up my first 96 at the Tulsa Show, a cherry for $150, #1 barrel, but have not had a chance to shoot it, with deer season preparations and a continuing monsoon we've had down here for a couple of weeks. Went from really dry to really wet in a hurry, but that is Texas weather for ya.

<green 788>
posted
Gatogordo,

I found what I believe is a nice stash of the prickskytte ammo. I'm going to meet the guy next week. If he isn't feeding me a bunch of Barbara Streisand he's got several thousand rounds, plenty to be sure.

Only thing is, they are in the battle packs of 200 rounds, and he won't break them up. Price is 95 dollars per 200, and he will ship UPS. He's in my state, about 100 miles away, so I'm going to drive up there and see what's up.

I'm remembering Stefan's warning about the Hirtenberger stuff. I want to lay eyes on this stuff before I spend my money on it, or recommend it to any others. I need to ensure it's the genuine Swedish military ammo.

Go to this link to see what the Swedish Prickskytte ammo looks like. The web page mentions that the bullets are 139 grains, but that's a mistake. The actual bullet weight is 143 grains. I emailed the web page owner, but he didn't seem interested in correcting the error. Good photo, though. The Prickskytte stuff is 5th from the top of the page.

http://www.armscenter.com/dutchman/ammo.html

The guy with the afformentioned stash of ammo tells me that he also makes the tall front sights for the Swedes, as well as steel threaded muzzle protectors (my 1918 has a yellowish looking rubber piece for this purpose), and he also makes brass cleaning rod extensions.

As soon as I know more, I'll post back...

Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan:

Thanks, but at over 50 cents a round including shipping, I can load Sierra MKs cheaper and there is no doubt in my mind they will be more accurate.

one of us
posted Hide Post
95$ per 200 sound a bit stiff to me......

The prikskytte ammo comes in wood boxes of 800 (4X200). The guy may have a good reson to not open the plastic bags in witch the ammo is packed! If my memory serves me right the green plastick bags contains 180 regular FMJ:s AND a 20 pack of tracers.........

Be sure that you don�t pay for the tracers!! They have scrappy cases and the accuracy in not at all like the other stuff!!

Stefan.

[ 10-30-2002, 21:18: Message edited by: Stefan ]

<green 788>
posted
Well, I can't argue with the 142 SMK's being cheaper to load, and that's what I'm hoping to do.

Gatogordo, how much did your rifle end up costing? It appears that there has been a near 100% price jump on these things in the last year. Ones in the condition of my 1912 are costing nearly 350 dollars on Auction Arms. I paid 170 bucks for mine.

I think they're a good investment as well as good shooters.

That prickskytte ammo is very accurate. I'm sure we can get handloads to shoot as well, but I like the nostalgia angle, and those long, silver bullets. I think a small amount of the stuff is a nice accent to an M96 Swede...

Take care guys, and Gatogordo, let me know how you like your rifle.

Dan Newberry
green 788

one of us
posted Hide Post
Speeds in a b-square scout scoped M96 CG 1917 through an Oehler 35 chrono: 44grH4350 Sierra 140 game king @ approx 2775fps; 46grH4350 Sierra 140 game king @ approx 2875fps; and swede 'prickette'(?139gr?) @ approx 2600fps Best-o-Luck All

Posts: 267 | Location: Tampa | Registered: 01 March 2002Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
Lonniemike,

Thanks for the chrono data. My new chronograph is on the way, but you've confirmed for me what I already thought to be the case: That the 45 grain Hodgdon charge was moving the 140's quite a bit faster than the prickskytte ammo. For the record, the Swedish prickskytte ammo used 143 grain bullets, not 139's as is commonly reported. I've now found out that this was made by Norma, and that some was made by Hirtenberger, as Stefan mentions above. Luckily, my prickskytte ammo has the green primer seal, and is dated 1986. The charge used in the prickskytte rounds was supposedly 46.3 grains of a military powder called NC1220, made by Bofors in Sweden. (The RL22 is also made in Sweden). The 143 grain silver bullets are no longer in production.

Here is a good webpage. Per will answer your questions by email...

http://user.tninet.se/~dvx072o/reloadin.htm#140-165grain%20bullets

I believe that I've identified the powder used in some if not all of the prickskytte rounds. It passes the look test and to volume/weight test as Reloder 22. (Please, folks, no more warnings about the "dangers" of ID'ing military powders--I don't put unknown powders into handloads). The Alliant loading manual velocities indicate that around 46 grains of RL22 should push a 142 grain Sierra Matchking to about 2600 fps. This should follow the sight graduations on the M96.

I'll post more on this later...

Dan Newberry
green 788

[ 11-02-2002, 17:15: Message edited by: green 788 ]