New
Find
Notify
Tools

Very slow powder
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Some one have try very slow powder like Vihtavuori 24N41 and 20N29 (they are born for 50BMG) in 6.5mm /260 family cartridge? or also in different cartridge?

result in accuracy departement?

thanx

Posts: 75 | Location: Italy | Registered: 24 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have tryed some wc860 can't stuff enough in a case low vel. Haven't tryed it for acurate loads leaves a lot of unburned powder in the barrel.

Posts: 19570 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot a nice 190 lb. buck this year using 160 grain round noses loaded over a compressed charge of WC860, (surplus 50 BMG powder), in a 6.5x55. I don't know what speed they were going, but it was pretty slow. Bullet performance was 50/50, one bullet showed evidence of good expansion & wound channel, one penciled through. I think powder more in the H1000, 7828, RL25 range would be better. BD

Posts: 163 | Location: Greenville, Maine | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
5020 is a ball powder that * really * falls into the slow burning catagory. I've tested it in a number of rifles.
A full case of it in a 7mm rem mag. gave performance close to the 7mmX57mm.
In the .243 low report, mild recoil, and acceptable accuracy.
In the 358X404 102gr. behind a 250gr psp. it was really mild and accurate (repeatable, impact was about 9" low at 100 yds.)In all the cartridges there was a lot of powder that appeared it never ignited and when you opened the bolt and extracted the case the powder got all over the place and would prevent round insertion and bolt closer. It gets messy. When working up a duplex load to get more thorough ignition I destroyed a bolt on a mod. 98 and got set back indentations on the action. I had a similar problem with a 243, same scenario, prior to this. It was not nearly as severe.The inexpensive purchase price of the 5020 lured me into this sad state of affairs.
roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I have tryed some wc860 can't stuff enough in a case low vel. Haven't tryed it for acurate loads leaves a lot of unburned powder in the barrel.

In compressed loads under the heavier bullets in .300 Weatherby Magnum and 7mm Remington Magnum (some of which loads of mine slightly exceed published loads for the similar H870 and AA8700), it produces top velocities, excellent accuracy and burns cleanly. I can't blow myself up as in these cartridges it takes all I can pack in to approach maximum pressures. In the Ultramags and such it can be overloaded. In cartridges smaller than my magnums, you'll get low velocities and pressures and lots of unburned powder. But many folks report great accuracy with those loads. Several of the cast bullet shooters really like it for target shooting.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Nope...20N-29 in 30 caliber and larger and 24N-41 in 7mm and larger.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sometimes use a 190 grain cast LBT bullet in a 30-06 with a full case of H870. About as fast as a 300 Savage, but benchrest (almost) accuracy. Good load for my Daughter. She's a really good shot, but only 5 feet tall and 103 pounds. Recoil is mild with this load.