Find
Notify
Tools

Plated bullet performance
 Login/Join

<JoeM>
posted
Hello
I am dealing with plated bullets in a high velocity centerfire for the first time. I have to use these, BTW, no other choices.

So, in that application, teach me everything you can about a plated bullet.

Quirks, experiences, everything.
You talk, Ill listen.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
treat them as copper color cast bullets, and you'll be fine. IMHO, the only thing the casting does is leave copper in the barrel, rather than lots of lead.

What caliber are you using?

like I said, reload like casts, and you'll be fine. you will NOT get jacketed perf out of them.

jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey JoeM, What caliber, what rifle and what bullet are you asking about?

I've shot a whole lot of Lead over the years and still prefer it for my pistols and revolvers. Now I've pretty much gone to "jacketed" bullets for my rifles, but still have a few that see some Lead.

You will find that lead has a lower Coefficient of Friction than a jacketed or plated bullet. This means to us reloaders that you use a bit less powder with them to reach the same Pressure Levels as with Lead.

Some of the "plated" bullets are exceptional bargains and provide excellent accuracy. I use a whole lot of the 0.224" 50gr Rem PLHPs(Plated Hollow Points). They are not quite as accurate as a Sierra or a Nosler BT in my rifle, but they are plenty accurate enough to shoot Varmints. They will typically shoot in the 6s when my concentration is up.

Remington also makes a 0.224" 55gr PLHP and a 0.243" 80gr PLHP. Speer makes a good many "Uni-Cor" bullets that are also "plated". The copper will not come loose from any of them like it can on regular jacketed bullets.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
<JoeM>
posted
Hello
Well I guess I should have been more specific. My bullets are from Calhoon, and they are jacketed bullets, with his plating over the jacket.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Calhoon's plating is a zinc formula. Everyone I've asked about it tells me they foul less, easier to clean and are deadly on varmints.

Posts: 132 | Location: Dufur, Oregon | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote