New
Find
Notify
Tools

winchester 270 ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
? best load and bullet for texas panhandle mule deer. thanks for information. as you can tell this is my first post.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A good 130gr bullet (I favor Barnes) with 4831 for powder should work very well for you.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since it is your first post we can forgive you for asking for the "best". There's no such thing since rifles vary in the way the work with varying bullets and powders.

That said, there are some parameters which will point you toward a load that does well in your rifle:

1. I like a 130 grain bullet in the .270. Many like them heavier and a few like them lighter, but I don't think you'll find any knowledgable riflemen who don't think that a 130/.270 is not fully adequate for mule deer.

2. As to bullet make, I generally prefer the Nosler line because they are typically quite accurate in my rifles, and any of the three (Ballistic Tip, Accubond, or Partition) will make a deer (mule or otherwise) about the same amount of dead. By the same token, some rifles prefer Sierras, Speers, and sometimes even Hornady's (which probably have the weakest average accuracy) will turn in excellent performance in certain rifles. Pick one to try, and if it doesn't seem compatible, try another. It may be mostly my prejudice, but I don't particularly trust anyone's monometal bullet, either in terms of accuracy or terminal performance.

3. Sometimes faster powders work okay in the .270, but my test loads always start with H4831 and go slower from there. Although 60 grains of this powder is often recommended with a 130 grain bullet, I've found that to be excessive in the .270's I've worked with. Start around 57 and expect 58 or 59 to top out in your rifle. Other good powder candidates are RL-22, IMR 7828, and AA 3100. The IMR version of 4831 is somewhat faster than the H- version and I don't find much use for it. Likewise, there are advocates of IMR-4350, and while its a proven powder, it is a bit fast for the .270 and leaves more empty space in the case than I like.

Now that I've said all of that, you may find that your best load is with IMR-4350 and Hornady 150 grainers. If so, that will kill a mule deer and kill it in a manner that is largely indistiguishable from my "best" load. But if you want to start with 57 grains of H-4831 and one of the commonly available lead core spitzers, I think you'll find your "best" load pretty quickly.

4. Pardon me, but I forgot to mention cases and primers: In all likelihood it JUST DOESN'T MATTER. Your loading techniques WILL matter, but that's an entirely different subject.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
good advice in all the above postings.

I had a .270 from about the age of 12 until I gave it away to my son when he graduated from medical school. Both he and his wife have taken elk easily with it in Montana.

I tried a lot of combos but kept coming back to the H4831 in generous amounts (fill 'er up) and the Nosler 130g. BT. Just seemed to shoot the best groups and perform well in the field.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just about any 130 grain bullet and a pile of H-4831.

I prefer the bonded bullets.

Posts: 908 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 21 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot 140 gr hornadays in mine with a max load of wcc852 4831 speed mil surplus.

Well kill any deer out there and lots of other things,

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used a .270 Win. succesfully for years here in Ak. for sheep & caribou. Since these animals are larger than your deer, I've used 150 gr. Partitions. The accurate load I've come to rely on is with 57.0 grs. of Rldr-22 and I get good velocity and accuracy.
Having said that, my advice would be to start with the most accurate load that's listed in a load manual. I use the bullets made by the the writer of the manual and I even seat them to their specs. I then gradually increase powder charges usually in 1 gr. increments and shoot for accuracy & velocity.
The H-4831 load info is also generally a good place to start but don't get load data for H-4831 & IMR-4831 mixed up. As I recall, I've tried H-4350 in the past but with the 150 gr. bullets I used, didn't get the accuracy I wanted & knew the .270 could provide. It might work for you tho. Good luck & enjoy.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks again for the information. I have been reloading alot longer than posting on this sight. I will try to post questions more precise. thanks

One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
I have one .270 that likes 130gr bullets and IMR 4831, another that likes 140gr bullets and H 4831. Both loads go 3000 fps. My father in law likes IMR 4350 for 140gr bullets.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1439 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sometimes faster powders work okay in the .270, but my test loads always start with H4831

I'd Add, 130-140gr Nosler Ballistic tips, and CCI 200 primers to that quote for deer.

It's a very good place to start.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of br6ppc1
posted Hide Post
My 270 A-Bolt likes either 4831. My go to load is 140gr Ballistic tip or Accubond with Fed 210M and 53.5 gr IMR 4831.

Posts: 92 | Location: Eastman, GA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote