New
Find
Notify
Tools

45 colt and muzzleloader bullets?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
was wondering if any of the new muzzloader bullets are .452 diameter and load them in a 45 colt blackhawk, getting tired of hard cast bullets looking for something new..............

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought the opposite was true ...452" pistol bullets loaded into 54 calibre sabots were the rage for smokepoles. As for the .45 Colt, you need look no further than Hornady's 250 grain XTP and a stout dose of 2400.

one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
I like the TC 250 gr yellow tipped in my 45. It's out of a Contender carbine, but it's still a 45 Colt. Accurate, too. I didn't take a deer with them this year, so I'm not sure how expansion would be. Unfortunately, they're not sold per 50 yet and when you extrapolate the price, they're very expensive. More than the Partitions. But they still look cool Cool
The Hornady ones are also .452 (they make the TC's, too)

"It's like killing roaches - you have to kill 'em all, otherwise what's the use?"
Charles Bronson

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
<cobra44>
posted
I like the Hornady HP/XTP bullets no leading and both the 250 and 300 grain shoot really well in my Vaquero Old Model and my 45 colt rifle.

one of us
Picture of 45LCshooter
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the muzzle loader stuff is sold in funny quantities. I had picked up some swaged stuff that was 375 grain conical boatail that I paper patched for my 45-70. Came in boxes of 36, which was the most i have ever seen for sabot bullets. I am looking for something in .50 to use the sabots for, maybe a handi-rifle barrel in .50 S&W....

All that's gold does not glitter. Not all those who wander are lost.
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Never express yourself more clearly than you can think.
--Niels Bohr

Posts: 381 | Location: Kiowa, AL | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote