New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alliant reloader powders
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Any Opinions on Reloader powders being inconsistant in burn rate.

I had a pound of r22 that just seemed like all my worked up R22 loads were higher pressure with that jug. The lot number wasnt on their "danger" list.

I had worked with H4831 and R22 and got tighter groups with R22. Then bought another jug and have had hard bolt lift with my documented good loads, so I ve been backing off 1gr. pissers

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Internet legend certainly ranks R22 as very temp sensitive with big swings in burn rate between lots. If you do a search you will find opinions that support this claim with "facts" while others will show their proof the lot to lot variance and temp sensitivity are no different than many other powders. It gets better when the conspiracy crowd jumps in with claims that MRP is really the most consistent batches of R22 so if you want all the good and none of the "bad" of R22 you need to shoot MRP.

I've shot a plenty of R22 under 140 grn pills in 6.5X55 and never noticed much difference and I'm also huge fan of R22 behind 180 grain bullets in 30_06. But maybe I just don't notice things I should, who knows.

R15 is what everyone says the military uses. I love it in .308 and myths of inconsistency just don't seem to abound with R15. R19, well again maybe its me, I've tried and tried but never found it to be my go to powder for anything. Again, it never seems to get the inconsistency knock that R22 does.

I'm sure this doesn't answer your question, but I'll wager it’s as close to an answer as you will find on the subject.

it's a fresh wind that ... Blows Against the Empire

Posts: 225 | Location: houston, tx | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice post Ned. I know lots of folks "swear by" all the Reloader Powders, but they just don't work for me. Other Powders by both IMR and Hodgdon always ALWAYS proved to be less erratic as I approached what should have been a SAFE MAX.

I gave jugs of RL-15, 19 and 22 to some buddies and one of them also had similar problems. The other guy just uses it for Fire Forming.

I see the wide swings in measuring CHE/PRE, so I don't use it. But, there sure are a lot of other folks that love it.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 284 Winchester was transformed when I moved from 4350 to RL-15. The RL-15 delivered groups much smaller than with 4350. I now get groups less than 1/2" where with 4350 they were 3/4".
RL-7 is the powder for my 222 Rem also. Nothing else comes close; three shots into a 3/8" group at 100.
Look at the post the guy made using RL-22 in his 7 mm Mag here on AR. The group he got with it is amazing; .171" for three shots at 100 yards. He posted a pix of the group.

Don

One of Us
Picture of UtahLefty
posted Hide Post
I've had VERY good success with RL 15 in my 375s. Extremely small SD, even with literally 80 degree temp swings (= <30 fps difference at 0 degress to 80 degrees).

Also have had good success with RL19 in the 338.

Poor results with Rl 22 and Rl 25. If these are your game and are not working, maybe try the Norma powders. Same mfg, tighter tolerances, or so I'm told.

-UtahLefty

Posts: 91 | Location: Northern Utah | Registered: 25 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys , I know there was a recall on a lot of R22 a few years ago. Maybe thats makes me wonder.

I document all my loads I worked up in my 6.5x55, and even write in comments of pressure signs,bolt lift, accuracy, temp that day, good or bad day shooting, or any piculiar observation in a small notebook with each load.

Some of my same R22 Swede loads from a few years ago just seem hotter with stiff bolt lift and some faint extractor marks on case head.

Lately I like R15 in my 308 though

Oh well,,,,, Think I'll play with Hodgdon 4831 Big Grin

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like to shoot R-22 in the 338 Lapua and 6.5 Swede.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I LOVE the Reloder powders. 19, 22, and now 25 are definitely "go to" powders for me.

The accuracy and consistency have never been an issue for me.

I work up loads here in Ohio when it is around 70 degrees, take them to WY and CO, and never have a problem. Only a mild change of impact at 400 yards.

I like it so much I probably have 10 pounds of it or more.

I think one of the biggest problems handloaders run into is they all want to get a max or near max charge and really push every rifle to its absolute limits.

My gosh, it's just not necessary. I'd say most here on AR have a comfort zone of around 350 yards and under and seldom shoot beyond that.

Why on earth do so many loaders have to juice their handloads to the max?? I'm happy with mediocre velocities and dead nut accuracy.

Screw the velocity. I've watched cow elk drop from 150 grain bullets at 500+ yards from a 280. I'll never be convinced that an extra 200 or so fps mean the difference between deader'n hell, or just dead.

Keep your loads moderate per caliber, know the trajectory, and save yourself from big headaches by worrying about lot to lot burn rate changes.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love RL-22. It produces top notch accuracy in my 300 win mag with 180 gr pills. Having said that, I have experienced firsthand the inconsistency in burn rate this powder has from lot to lot. All powders will vary in burn rate among diff lots, but not to the extent of RL-22 IMO. I worked up a load using 76 gr RL-22 and a 180 gr partition. Accuracy was excellent and there were no signs of excessive pressure. I purchased more powder from a diff lot. Using the same bullet, I noticed sticky bolt lift at 73 gr. I backed of to 72 gr., ran it over a chrono and got roughly the same vel. as my previous loads using 76 gr. Of course, the way to overcome this is to buy powder in 8 lb. containers. Just be sure that you ALWAYS reduce 10% for your starting loads.

posted Hide Post
At the other end of the reloading spectrum, RL10X is one of the top rated powders for .204 Ruger, and RL7 is also highly valued for smaller capacity rounds such as .221 Fireball and .20 Vartarg. I use them both.

PEACE--Through Superior Firepower