New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5x55 130gr Sierra Game King
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone worked up a load with the 130gr Hollow point Game King for modern actions? I sent an inquire to Sierra and the response I got back was less than informative. I have several pounds of RE-22 and RE-19. I am down to less than a pound of IMR 4831 and H4831SC so I am hoping the Alliant powder will work. Also has anyone Used IMR 7828SSC in the Swede? I noticed the article on Real Guns where he had used it in the CZ 550 FS with good results. It is the same rifle that I just purchased so it kind of peaked my curiosity. I have no experience with that particular powder so would like to ask those who might have the experience.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
I started loading the 6.5x55 for my Swede '96 in 1980. since then I have not found a powder it will not shoot well.
Reloader-19 and 22 are good powders and I've had very good luck with both using a 130-39 grain bullets. flat based shoot much better than boat-tail out of my rifles.
Reloader-19 45.5 starting. 47 grains max, work up 1/2 grain at a time.
Reloader-22 46 starting. Find your max for your rifle using this powder. The case can/will hold much more powder than is 'safe" in the '96.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 448 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Rapidrob. I will give those a try and see how the rifle likes it.

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Reloader 19 has performed well for me under 129 grain Hornady SSTs. I don't recall the charge offhand, but 47 grains sounds about right (I know it's near max - I shoot a Sako L691), so work up to it.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Palladin8.. I shoot 130gr accubond blems in my CZ550 and they are accurate..my load is;

47.5gr RL19
Rem brass and Rem LR primer
my COL= 3.00" and velocity is a hair under 2800fps...

works great on deer and antelope....

Posts: 503 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Winchester M70 that is very long throated. I use 140 grain Speers and 49 grains of R22. The bullet is seated out way long.

Regards, Keith

Posts: 208 | Location: S.W. Wyoming | Registered: 31 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the data. I have just acquired some 130gr Swift Sciroccos as well. Will work on loads with the new Norma brass and see what I can come up with. Hopefully there will be no wind this weekend so I can get the new rifle out and zero the scope and test some loads.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keith1:
I have a Winchester M70 that is very long throated. I use 140 grain Speers and 49 grains of R22. The bullet is seated out way long.

Regards, Keith

I have the same rifle. I use 140 grain Accubonds and 46.4 grains of MRP. I found that there are several good spots in searching depth without going all the way out. Even at maximum length (for neck tension) I was still a long ways from the lands so I went back to book coal and tuned from there.

Posts: 352 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote