New
Find
Notify
Tools

Surplus Powder - IMR 7383
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone have any experience with IMR 7383 powder? I've heard some bad things about it from Bartlett at gibrass. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Posts: 212 | Location: Longmont, CO | Registered: 30 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
If you send me your e-mail address I'll send you the complete report. bartsche @sbcglobal.net. This powder is completely different than any powder I have ever dealt with. It can be inteligently used but its applications are some what limited. Caution is the proper term here.Beware roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Stick, Roger's report IS worth reading! As for IMR 7383, it's a non-standard, non-cannister milsurp powder (in .50cal. spotter rounds). Bad things? Other than the fact that it doesn't tolerate much compression and the burn rate or relative speed varies with the cartridge, I can't think of any. I've successfully used it in my .243Win. and .30-06 (with jacketed bullets) with complete satisfaction and a very high degree of accuracy. In cartridges similar to those two, you can treat it as IMR 4064 to begin with, but may find it too slow: I found it closer to IMR 4350. Btw, you'll need a chronograph if you're going to experiment with 7383. Hope this helps!

Posts: 480 | Location: N.Y. | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Just got home from testing some 7383. I agree with paul burn rate about the same as 4350. Not the right caliber but I did some test with 8mm mauser. VZ-24 rifle.

tested with 150 and 170 hornandy bullets
full case 47 grains with WIN primers.

150 chronoed 2300 fps with ex spread of only 21 fps

170 2222 fps with ex spread of only 4 fps.

I chroned 10 of each shots

I think that a bigger caliber 300 win/wby should work better...just cant get enough powder in a small case.

hope this may help

Jason

Posts: 81 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason22:
Just got home from testing some 7383. I agree with paul burn rate about the same as 4350.

I chroned 10 of each shots...just cant get enough powder in a small case.

That burn rate is a quirky dynamic thing. I will be glad to send you the report. My Email address is listed ;just let just let me know. boohoo Roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote