Find
Notify
Tools

Accurate loads for .308/168gnBTHP
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SC_Gunner
posted
I am looking for some accurate loads for the .308 Win. using 168gn SMK's. My rifle is
a Remington 700P.

I have lots of Varget, IMR4350, Benchmark, and BLC2 on hand, so loads with those powders are preferred, but any will be appreciated. ~Marc

Posts: 46 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 29 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Start at 44grs of Varget and work up to the listed max on the bottle. It tends to work very well. If you are using Federal brass, all bets are off as you get near the top load as it tends to be a bit soft.

I know what you`re thinking,...did he fire six shots, or only five?

Posts: 116 | Location: Finger Lakes, New York, | Registered: 10 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found a very accurate load of Varget to be between 42 and 43.0 grains with a 168 SMK. I know you can push it even faster with more Varget.

I believe BLC2 to be the same stuff as W748. I have not used that in 308, but W748 was a popular ball 308 powder. Then AA2520 came out and folks started using that when they wanted a ball powder in 308.

You can completely fill your case with IMR 4350, and you won't get any decent velocities with it. Though one fellow in a F class match did very well with 47.0 grains and a 175 SMK.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Marc, If you are familiar with "Antley's BBQ" in Orangeburg, I've had a good many FREE meals from there due to using:
1. Fully Prepped and weight sorted Cases.
2. Fed GM Primers.
3. Starting Loads of H380 from the old Hodgdon #26 Manual.
4. Seating the 168gr Sierra MatchKing 0.005" Into-the-Lands.

I was not interested in a MAX Velocity, just the very most Accurate Load for my rifle.

If you are not familiar with Antley's, it is worth the trip. Same for the Duke's BBQ near the Pepsi Plant.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote