New
Find
Notify
Tools

lee deluxe starter kit?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
OK, birthday is coming up and the wife wants some ideas-figure this would be a good way to start reloading--found a Lee Deluxe reloading kit for $129--is this a good price and a good way to get " the ball rolling"...

Dave

one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
I haven't looked at the Lee prices lately but that doesn't sound too bad. I've used Lee exclusively since I started reloading about 2 years ago. I started with the free press they gave away for buying their reloading book, then added the progressive press about a year ago. I only reload for rifles, and normally 20-30 rounds at a time so these work pretty good for me. I like the intechangeable die holders with the progressive, I reload for 5 calibers that I shoot a lot and can leave the dies set up, it takes about 20 seconds to change out the complete set.

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cabella's has the Lee Delux Reloading kit for about $80. I might suggest you look at the Lee Anniversary Kit for about $70. It is a single stage press and a good system from which to learn. The delux is a turrent press. Use the extra money to pick up some dies, cases, primers, powder and bullets, plus at least a couple of reloading manuals, such as Lymans or Hornady. You can call up Cabellas online as well as MidwayUSA, a catalog reloading shop. I would look into buying your powder and primers locally and your other components from the internet locations. $129 for the Lee Delux is a bit steep. Good luck and don't be afaid to ask questions. Good Luck ... Tom Purdom

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RCBS and Hornady have pretty complete reloading sets as well, basically includes everything you need. I've always been partial to RCBS and Hornady anyways, and I bought the RCBS Rock Chucker kit on sale for 30% off.

________

"...And on the 8th day, God created beer so those crazy Canadians wouldn't take over the world..."

Posts: 539 | Location: Winnipeg, MB. | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All of Cabelas reloading stuff can be found on this page...

Cabelas Reloading

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i use the lee turret press as a single station press. the 4 hole turret allows me to keep 2 rifle die sets ready to go, i haven't found a need to use the auto-index.

one of us
Picture of arky65
posted Hide Post
i work 14 days on call and 7 days off in the south louisiana oilfield but live in central arkansas. some time i have time on my hands while on call so i purchased the lee anniversary kit to use while in la. it works well but the one thing i do not like is the cheesy scale. it is accurate but for my old eyes it is hard to read and adjust. i use alot of lee dies they work well also. you will end up with equiptment from all the manufaturers before long. some just have a better mouse trap.

jme

people that trade freedom for security become slaves

Posts: 245 | Location: arkansas/louisiana | Registered: 31 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
G'day, I would have to second arky65, the Lee anniversary kit is the inexpesive way to go. It has everything you need, and nothing you don't. You will probably end up with bits and pieces from all the manufacturers on your reloading bench after a while, but this kit will get you started.
Shop around, lots of places have sales from time to time, you might get lucky and save even more!
I still have mine, and it gets used on a weekly basis.

Cheers, Dave

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I would go with the RCBS rock chucker kit.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Not sure which press comes w/ the deluxe kit but, if you go Lee, the Classic Cast is a very nice press and you can't beat the price.

Last tiome I looked the CC was about 60 bucks from cabelas.

Have a Good one

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i use a combination of things from lee,rcbs,and redding. for the dollar, i don't think you can duplicate lee!

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote