New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cross-referencing powders
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gentlemen....I have been reloading for years so I hope this doesn't sound too "stupid". I have always utilized various sources of data and done interpolation, etc. to get where I was going, with a variety of calibers. But I am now entering into the realm of my unknown. I want to try Ramshot Powders (TAC and Big Game) to work up loads for my 9.3x62 CZ rifle. I have done EXTENSIVE work trying to corralate these powders with some more "known" powders. I think I have come close in figuring that TAC and IMR4895 are very close in burning and charge weight and that Big Game and RL-15 and H414, while not as close, aren't too far off. Except for starting at a greatly reduced rate and working up, is there a somewhat more direct route, cross-references, etc. that can be used to get closer on the first few trys? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Gary.

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mixing powder data like that is a bit like mixing alcohol and prescription medication. It can be done, but the results can be hairy. There has to be data out there for the powders you want to use. Find it.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
close, but no sigar..... First, call the folks at Western Powder, they are great. Second, the Ramshot burn rate chart puts Tac between H4895 and H335, and Big game between RL15, and I4320.

Be careful!

HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Gents......yes I have already called the Ramshot boys and spoke with them. They confirmed my calculations to-date with both the 414/Big Game and TAC/4895 on a NEARLY grain by grain comparison. Dropping the load (in grains) 10% and working up. Since the 9.3x62 case is very similar in capacity, working off of data for the '06 was my starting point. I'm not quite the "sophmore" my post may have let on....I just seem to have limited time these days and was looking for a possible "shortcut". Probably not a good idea. Thanks, again. Gary. P.S. I'll be touching off 55.5 gr of BG with the 250 gr. BT within a few days...I'll post the results.

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
While I can't recomend the practice, I have done it a few times for rounds that lacked load data for powders that appeared to be suitable. Sometimes the unlisted powders work great, other times they weren't worth the effort. But, only one way to find out. So long as you are starting low, and know what you are getting into, you just might want to try.

I'd recomend you look at 35 whelen data, it will get you much closer then using -06 data to correlate.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only reference I've seen to date on the calculations of burn rates are in the VihtaVuori Reloading Manual 3rd edition. Although I suspect that they may be indigenous to that particular brand, if one wanted to toy with actually measuring in accordance to the variables presented, it may [perhaps] get one close to the mark....

However, I subscribe to conventional wisdom in NOT EVER mixing dissimilar brands or types....

------------------
Best regards,
Alex

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote! - Benjamin Franklin 1759

[This message has been edited by Alex Szabo (edited 04-19-2002).]

Posts: 902 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote