New
Find
Notify
Tools

308 subsonic loads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I�m looking for subsonic load data for 308 win.
I plan on using 167gr - 185gr bullets and vhitavuori or norma powder.
Also is it nessesary to use filler in the case so there wont be much empty space.
Thank you.

Posts: 35 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I think Black Hills use to or maybe still does load subsonic loads for the 308. They will not give out info on the loads.Rick.

Posts: 8 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 28 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TRG:

I am not familiar with those powders in my personal usage. However give me a definition of what you consider a subsonic load and I can tell you what is listed in a Lyman manual for cast bullets, if that will help out.
[Razz] [Roll Eyes] [Cool]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
By subsonic i mean about 1000fps.
Looking at load data at accuratereloading.com
i see that 12gr of VV130 vill push a 240gr SMK at about 1000fps from a 300 whisper, could it be dublicated in 308win.

Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trg:
By subsonic i mean about 1000fps.
Looking at load data at accuratereloading.com
i see that 12gr of VV130 vill push a 240gr SMK at about 1000fps from a 300 whisper, could it be dublicated in 308win.

Thanks.

The concern is that you will have far too little powder in the 308 case and there is a risk of secondary detonation when the entire powder column ignites as opposed to the gradual burn that normally occurs. The process is still not 100% understood and there are still some arguments as to what really happens, but most of the folks I have spoken with, would highly recommend against it.

JD Jones at SSK, who developed the 300 Whisper, has developed subsonic 308 loads by filling the case with epoxy and then drilling a new powder cavity and flash hole, to reduce the powder volume.

JD does also state, however, that with the faster powders, the risk of the abovementioned secondary detonation is reduced.

Engel Ballistic Research offers a subsonic 308 load that uses just 12 grains of some powder (we have not yet been able to identify it) in a standard case. So it would appear to be feasible.

I would proceed with a lot of caution ... that is the best (and only) advice I can really offer. That, and contact Engel Ballistic Research.

Posts: 327 | Location: Texas | Registered: 22 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TRG:

Thanks for the speed of 1000-1100 fps.

Probably the best powder for doing that would be one of the shot gun powders. I was playing with Blue Dot ( Alliant) in a 30/06 using 110 grain HP Sierras and also 170 grain cast bullets.

I can load up some with a 180 grain bullet and chronograph the results if you would like.

With shotgun powder, I don't think the difference in an '06 and 308 case will make any difference in reality. Another good one is XMR 5744, which is made in Czechoslavakia, or the Czech Republic to be politically astute now.

Not sure if American or European powders are dominate in your market in Iceland. would love to be able to visit there some day tho, and especially hunt it, but I hear it is expensive.
Just can't seem to justify spending thousands of dollars to go hunt something somewhere else.
( personally I am too anti government any more, they turned me into being that over the last few years)

Let me know if I can assist you any more. My pleasure to do so.
[Razz] [Roll Eyes] [Cool]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think rounds in the 600 to 700 feet per second would be effective. They round woould probablly key-hole and not be accurate.
I don't know if you can still get the little $5 computer program. The program lets you take your regular powder and downsize the load to the velocity you want. I have been using the .22-Hornet and 223 at 1850 feet per second for about 6 years. Soon I will try some 10.0 gr. of UNIQUE
with 165gr bullets in my 30-06.
E-Mail www.leeprecision.com
and see how te program is available.

Posts: 355 | Location: Roanoke, Virginia | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all your reply.
I think i�m gona try to get my hands on some Lapua subsonic ammo.
P.S. Seafire if you are thinking about a hunt in Iceland then check out this page www.hrendyr.is

one of us
posted Hide Post
Oops that's www.hreindyr.is

one of us
posted Hide Post
I picked up a box of factory subsonic .308 ammo made by Lapua.

From memory the box says the MV is 300meters p/s(990pfs ca.)

See if it's availiable to you...

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Lars G>
posted
TRG - FWIW, In my search for a reduced load for the 11 yr old to shoot in his .308, I tested the following load:

11.0 gr Unique
Fed 210 primer
Sierra 125 gr spitzer
v = 1,475 fps (Oehler 35 / 16.5" bbl)

12.0 grains yields 1,585 fps

Bullets were stabilized and relatively accurate at 60 yds. You could probably work this down to 8-10 grains (at your own risk) and see what velocity you get.

one of us
posted Hide Post
TRG -
We've been working on reduced loading for the last decade - and although we don't have reduced loads explicitly for the 308, on our website (url below, look under levergun studies/loads) you'll find data for 30-30, 30-30ai, and 3006 - all for lead bullets, running btwn 900 and 1300fps. From those you should be able to generate starting 308 loads. If I were to pick a powder to work with in that context, I'd be looking at vvn320 or 340, or Hodgdon Titewad - all burn clean and ignite easily.
do shoot straight (otherwise, why bother),
greg
www.gmdr.com
ps. out of fear of lodging bullets (done too many times) we won't run a jacketed bullet under 1500fps - for those liability reasons, all the data on our site is only for lead.

Posts: 46 | Location: far northern california (where guns aren't evil) | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote