New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullets for the .338 Federal
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've got that spring itch for a new gun, and I'm really intrigued by the new 338 Federal. The one thing that does concern me is the availability of hunting bullets. I assume that must 338 bullets are spec'd to expand properly at 338 Winchester or .340 Weatherby velocities, which the little old 308-based Federal is never going to generate.

Can anyone recommed a good 180 or 200 grain bullets for this round for deer size game?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very good question. One that I think too few will ask and go afield with a .338 dia bullet that is too "tough" for Fed velocities.

IMVHO, the Woodleigh Weldcores would be the balls out of the .338 Fed. The lightest .338 they make is the 225gr. I'd start there. They expand like the dickens even at low velocity and hold together. I shoot them out of my .338 win and will likely go to them when I give into the .338 Fed itch.

Another option might actually be the TSX. Though they are extremely tough, expansion is still initiated at relatively low speeds.

Posts: 173 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 25 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a good question, and it remains the primary reason why I hope the 338 Federal fails. If a newer more frangible bullets appears on the horizon we all know, sooner or later, they will find their way into the larger 338s and that ain't a good thing.
There is a reason the 338 did and the 35 didn't. Tough bullets possessing great sectional density just plain old work: witness the 9.3X62.