New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recomendation on 22-250
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have tried 7 powders no results best is 1/2 inch 55 grain bullets ,mod. 700 rem.WAnt it to shoot as low as I can get it to go.
Bill

Picture of Roy Richardson
posted Hide Post
bewilderedWhat're ya bitchin about half inch groups for? Are you one a them bench rest guys?

I think 1/2 inch is a good group, but what do I know?

"Its shootin' time somewhere!

Posts: 22 | Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA | Registered: 02 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,
You neglected to tell us if that 1/2 inch is at 25 ft. or 600 meters. Assuming 100 yards, I agree with Roy. Consider this: It may not be the rifle. It's always possible that the optics may come into play, along with their attachment. Just a thought.

Posts: 220 | Location: SW Missouri USA | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just picked up a CZ Varmint this week at Cabela's in 22-250. Bumped up my purchase schedule since they're doing the $150 gift card for purchases of $500 or more. Anyway, I've got loads using 2 different powders and 3 different bullets types. If I can get one of them to shoot really well, I'll let you know. However, 1/2 inch aint bad. Smiler

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was out of some old reload data in a Lyman Manual but I tried Rl 7 in a Ruger VT in 22.250..

I settled on 30 grains for all bullet weights of 55 grains or less...Pretty much a one hole shooter, If I am doing my part with those bullet weights....

If one is looking for velocity...33.5 grains and a 40 grain ballistic tip gave me 4350 fps out of a 26 inch barrel...

It is one of my main 22.250 powders, that is for sure!

cheers
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've been using the same load to shoot in 3 or 4 different 22-250's over the years..If it is short range varmint or target use to about 250 yds. use the Sierra 55 grain semi-pointed spitzer code # 1350..I shot my first one hole group many years ago with that bullet..For long range varminting u will need a better shape for efficiency & flatter trajectory..I use Hornady V-MAX 55 & Nosler 55gr ballistic tip..I send these down range with 35 grs. Of IMR4064 w/CCI standard LR primers..I've had good luck with H-380 & 52 gr. match grade bullets [use Mag.primers w/slower burning powders] I'm seeing some loads have been developed with Varget powder & it looks good to me..I will try that out as soon as I can..I never try to hot rod that cartridge..modest loads are a lot easier on the barrel & never shoot it rapid fire..5 shot string, let it cool off..Learn or have someone show u how to check the throat in your rifle..I keep the bullets seated up so they just touch the lands or back off as few as 3 to 5 thousanths..Every gun is diff..some are fussy to seating depth some not..the 22-250 is usually an aggreeable cartridge to reload for..good luck, mike in ct

one of us
posted Hide Post
sell it and get a 204, then u will have something

Posts: 76 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Waffen
posted Hide Post
Bill I am the same as you. I can accept 1/2 inch groups but i'm not willing to give up on trying to get better.

My test rifle is a CZ 550 Varmint with 26" Barrel.

My best load is as follows
50gr Hornady V-Max Molly Item #22613
41.0gr Winchester 760
Winchester Brass
Fed210M Primers
OAL of 2.380

I have not measured the grouping, because I don't have a tape measure and I question the accuracy of CTC measuing. It is easily covered by a nickle though. I would be willing to bet in the .3-.4 range.

I loaded up some 55gr Berger's using various different powders to shoot on Sunday. I will get back to you after I get back to the range. Hopefully I can give kingfisher a run for his money Cool

Posts: 182 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Waffen
I may buy a CZ 22-250- and sell the Remington I have a CZ 204 the shoots in the teens , Do you like the 550 with the longer action than the 527 , I will try some 760
Thanks
Bill

One of Us
Picture of Waffen
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I don't have any experience with the 527, but I would have to say I like the design of the 550 better than the 527. Not to take a way from the 527, heck I still want one in .204.

I have been pretty happy with my 550 though. The set trigger is about as nice as it gets. I am sure you feel the same about the one on you're .204.

I recently mounted a Harris bi-pod, and a Burris 8-32x44 Sig Select for optics and I have been thrilled with it. I can get it to shoot good groups all day if I do my part.

In answer to you're question I do like the long action on a short action round. Not for any performance reason, but it does leave the door open for re barreling once I have shot this barrel out. The only con to the 550 is scope rings are few and far between. When you do find them they cost quite a bit too Mad

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try the 50 gr hornady V-max with RL15 and WLR primers. This load produces .3 to .4 5 shot groups at 100 yds in my Rem 700 VLS and a friend's howa 1500

Posts: 149 | Location: western Iowa | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill, Waffen and I are headed to the range tomorrow to see if we can do some damage. I'll make sure that we put together a full report when we get back, and hopefully we'll be able to give you something solid to go on. I loaded some rounds up with Hodgdon Benchmark, so we'll see how they shoot. I'm can only hope the other guns I'm taking will shoot as good as I know the CZ is going to.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Waffen
posted Hide Post
Bill,

Kingfisher and I just got back from the range today and I have some interesting results to report with 55gr Berger Varmint Match bullets.

I loaded up 3 different powders behind this bullet, I will list the three loads below:

55gr Berger Varmint
34gr IMR 4064
Winchester Cases
Fed210M Primers
2.380 O.A.L
The above listed group was my best performer. It put 4 rounds into near one hole, with one flyer that I pulled as I shot. The flier opened the group up to about 1.5-2.0 if I had to guess.

I also tried

55Gr Berger Varmint
35.5gr Varget
Winchester Cases
Fed210M primer
2.380 O.A.L.

The varget was overall more accurate, but then again the cluster of the 4064 loads was tighter, and if I had not pulled one of the shots the 4064 would have worked better.

Last I tried

55gr Berger Varmint
38.5 Winchester 760
Winchester Cases
Fed210M Primers
2.380 O.A.L.

I was quite surprised to see this load not be the most accurate. It was obviously the least accurate of the 3 loads I had tried. It was all over the place, probably a group of 2-3 inches. To date the 760 still is the powder I used in my most accurate load.

I just relised that I forgot to get the chrony results from Kingfisher. Hopefully he saved them.

I am going to work up some more Berger loads using some slower powders and see what happens. I still have some H380 and some IMR 4350 I need to try with the Berger’s too. I might pick up some Benchmark or BL-2 but still undecided. I will also pick up some Barnes bullets to try for next week. If I still can’t get it to shoot, kingfisher has been trying to get me to go in on some Shilen bullets with him, which might not be a bad idea.

Another idea is to try some 9 ½ primers, but I doubt that will make much difference. I hope this helps.

I hate to admit it, but my Remington 700 SPS in 30-06 shot better than my .22-250 today. That thing surprises me every time on how well it shoots. I can’t imagine how well it will work once I put a new trigger in there.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by willow:
sell it and get a 204, then u will have something

also Heavy barrels & Light triggers

Posts: 76 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No H380 fans here??

I am one gun away from being happy

Posts: 903 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
36gr of H380 with a 55gr V-Max in Win cases and Win primers works well for me...

Posts: 105 | Location: CO | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To Waffen
Going to try RL15
let you know
Bill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
better than a half inch at 100? I can meet it but cant beat it. yall are dreaming with that stuff about one hole with a stock rifle. remington 700vssf with redding match dies. I use AA2015 30.6gr with 55gr sierra bthp. Half inch is great with a stock rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
38.5gr H380 under a 52gr SMK seated .020" off the lands in a pards rem700 VLS has been a good .3moa at 100yd load many times over. Hornady neck sized brass with cci LR.

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
how many times do i have to hear H380 before ill try it? Just didnt want to go to a slower powder. Ill try and let yall know.